The Daily Gamecock

Fire Alarm clears Woodrow

The fire alarm in Woodrow College, an on-campus apartment building on Greene Street across from Russell House, blared around 3 p.m., causing occupants to evacuate the residence hall.

The cause? Burnt toast.

Alice Higgins, a third-year study abroad student majoring in English and history, nervously identified herself as the culprit.

“We were all just sitting here,” Higgins said. She had her first-floor door propped open, airing out her apartment. “I flipped the toaster to dark, and all of a sudden it was smoking. The fire department decided to give us a visit.”

Higgins said there was no penalty or serious consequence.

“They rolled their eyes and said it happens all the time,” she said.


Trending Now

Send a Tip Get Our Email Editions