In Our Opinion: Carolina Cab service benefits all students

The program, which resumes Thursday, is under a new contract that equates to $850 per night of service. That's over three times more than last semester, but students will have access to three more taxis then they did previously.

While this is no doubt a tough pill to swallow, we can't help but feel it's a necessary evil.

Some students won't even use it, yet a portion of their student activity fee will go to cover it for those that do. While these students receive no direct service, they'll be kept safer as ideally less intoxicated students will be aimlessly driving on the streets in and around campus— a result of students utilizing the taxis.

There will always be students, some underage, heading to Five Points to get their fill of beer and liquor.

Any given Thursday, Friday or Saturday night will see the majority of those in Five Points affiliated with the university is some way, shape, or form.

Inevitably then, the university has some obligation to provide this service to students.

It's important to note that this is still less expensive than Cocky's Caravan, yet much more flexible. So despite the increased cost, it's still a better service than it was designed to replace— and that's a good thing.

It may be unfair to those that don't utilize the service, and $50,000 annually to transport drunk students doesn't sound appealing on any level, but just like taxes, this is one of those programs that simply must exist.
We must commend Student Government for making this service happen. It is good for us all.