In our opinion: USC housing and students are both responsible for safety

Dorm security is up to both parties

Students pay a lot of money to live on campus, and by doing so there is an expectation that certain benefits, such as security, will be superb.
Even though security measures vary from building to building, USC needs to ensure the basic security functions of residence halls work. Why have security cards or locking doors if they don't function?

Most freshman residence halls have stronger security where there's only one main entrance and a desk worker or security guard watches the students swipe their CarolinaCards through a card reader, which turns green if the student lives there.

However, in a few freshman residence halls and all three upperclassman Quads, there are several entrances to the buildings. Some buildings don't even have security guards.

If doors are broken then it is the university's responsibility to have them fixed immediately. However, University Housing is not solely to blame for the break-ins.

As college students, residents should be intelligent enough to know if they prop doors open then anyone can come inside — not just friends who don't live in the building who students are too lazy to go let inside, but also thieves and criminals.

Don't let strangers in. Lock your doors to your room. As New York City says, if you see something, say something.

Everyone needs to put forth more effort to ensure safety so that break-ins don't keep occurring and worse incidents don't happen.