Local festivals brighten Columbia culture

Congaree Bluegrass Festival, Carolina Green Fair, Lexington Oktoberfest, SC State Fair add to city's tradition

If you want to live in Columbia, there are three things you really have to learn to love: sweltering heat — seriously, temperatures that can climb into the high 80s in the fall — the Carolina Gamecocks — as well as whichever team happens to be facing Clemson — and festivals. The Greater Columbia Area has always been known for hosting some of the best festivals, fairs and live events in the state, often pulling out all the stops to send both locals and visitors alike home with full stomachs, unique souvenirs and lasting memories. This fall’s lineup is shaping up to be another excellent season, with an array of local events that are sure to liven up the city for many weekends to come.

Congaree Bluegrass Festival — Saturday, Oct. 1

For all those who can’t seem to get enough strummin’ and pickin’, there’s no need to look any further than the other side of the Congaree River to Cayce, where the community holds its annual Bluegrass Festival each year. Kicking off at 11 a.m., the outdoor festival lasts all day with plenty of down-home rootsy jams to keep the night rocking. And the best part? It’s all completely free. Although the event will have several family-oriented activities (complete with a special area designed just for kids) the highlight is, of course, the bluegrass, featuring an excellent lineup of bands from throughout the area. This year’s bill includes the Carolina Rebels, New Dixie Storm and Steep Canyon Rangers as well as a live performance by the Capital City Cloggers. For more information visit the event’s website at www.congareebluegrassfestival.com.

Carolina Green Fair — Saturday, Oct. 22

The South Carolina State Fair is one of Columbia’s most well-known and well-attended events, but there’s a different kind of fair brewing here in Columbia — and it’s more deep rooted and less deep fried. The Green Fair originally began in Charleston, where the event saw such huge success that exhibitors quickly passed the torch to Columbia. But unlike the S.C. State Fair, the word of the day for this festival will be sustainability, keeping the focus on our environmental impact through a variety of educational activities, live music and even an eco-carnival. Adding to the event will be numerous vendors from throughout South Carolina, doling out homegrown foods, handcrafted artwork and other eco-friendly deals. The Carolina Green Fair begins at noon in Finlay Park.

Lexington Oktoberfest — Saturday, Oct. 22

Everyone knows what October’s really for: drinking beer out of boots and downing wiener schnitzel by the pound at Oktoberfest. This year head out to Lexington for the city’s first annual Oktoberfest event, where the event is packed with brews, eats and activities — all at free admission. Lexington, a county steeped in German heritage, will get things started at noon and continue with sister-event Rocktoberfest, a live music event that will rock on until later in the night. Oktoberfest will feature a German Village from noon to five with vendors, unique crafts and children’s activities, as well as an “Oompah” tent to house all the festival’s food, including authentic German cuisine, ales and original German tunes until 10 p.m.

South Carolina State Fair — Oct. 12 – Oct. 23

These days, if you’ve been to the State Fair and you haven’t tried a deep-fried Snickers or a donut hamburger, you really haven’t lived. Every year, the fair draws in thousands of local and out-of-state visitors to hundreds of vendors dishing out everything from fresh lemonade and funnel cakes to chicken wings and candy apples. And when visitors aren’t getting their hands on some of the fair’s finest foods, there are games and classic fair rides like ferris wheels, gravity spinners and fun houses to keep everyone occupied. This year’s fair also hosts an impressive lineup of musicians, including G. Love and Special Sauce, the Roots and country crooner Trace Adkins. Fair admission is $1 on opening day and $10 for adult admission the rest of the week.