ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: 9/11 anniversary should reduce prejudice

Muslims shouldn't be victim to discrimination

This weekend I, like so many others I know, watched several documentaries on the horrific events that this country endured together on Sept. 11, 2001. I was struck by many things, from the response of New Yorkers on the street standing in awe of their great city under attack to the response of the brave men and women of the New York Fire Department and the New York Police Department. One thing stood out, however.

One of the documentaries showed a mosque in New York in the days after the attacks and how it was responding to what was the first ugly change the United States had to endure in a post-9/11 world. The leaders of the mosque had set up video cameras and locked all of their doors because they were fearful for their lives. Their imam had received 71 voice mails threatening to kill them, the Muslims of New York.

It has continued today with many young Americans growing up in a confusing world in which the Islamic faith has been distorted and misunderstood for far too long.

I understand that it is only human nature to try to find a scapegoat after such a traumatic experience, but it is just pure hate to perpetuate that kind of narrow-minded racism today.

It sickens me to hear people refer to all Muslims as terrorists. Just because a terrible and disgusting few radical religious zealots prescribe to a perverted and ugly view of a truly beautiful faith, not far removed from the Christian religion, does not make it right to spread a message of hate.

As Americans we have always told the world that we are the land of the free and the home of the brave. Well, everyone, I think it is time to practice what you preach. If we are the land of the free, then Muslims should be allowed to practice their religion without the unfair judgment from those around them, and if we are the home of the brave, it is time for you to stand up for these people whenever you see them being unjustly treated.

The best way for a normal citizen of this great nation to fight for America and the values it stands for is to rebuke these cowardly jihadists and to accept, understand and fight for those who prescribe to true Islam in this world that is trying so hard to demonize them all.

This is a land of freedom. This is a land of principle. This is a land of love. Never forget that.

We are all Americans.