Peace Love & Rocky Roast serves up mellow coffee, creamy gelato, good vibes

Cozy new Vista shop serves up tasty treats

Take a trip back to 1969, when peace signs replaced the casual "hello," and love and good vibes ruled the airwaves.

Woodstock Music and Art Fair, the marker of the decade, lends its hippie flair and '60s-inspired decor to the Vista's newest coffee house and creamery Peace Love & Rocky Roast.

Living by its mantra, "Life is too short to drink bad coffee," Peace Love & Rocky Roast sets its scene with a back wall mural, painted with the legendary "3 Days of Peace & Music" Woodstock poster, and a soundtrack of all the festival greats, including Sly and the Family Stone.

A simple menu, offering hot and cold drinks as well as breakfast and snack foods, stands out with its combination of homegrown brews and bar of gelato.

The coffee is good, not great. Its blend is smooth and mixes well with flavor syrups — it could use a little more power but does its duty. The shop's selection of lattes and espresso drinks seem to cover all the basics you'd expect.

Gelato flavors like key lime pie, strawberry cheesecake and cappuccino crunch indulge may not be expected from a Columbia coffee shop, but they indulge any sweet tooth at Peace Love & Rocky Roast.

Samples are free and encouraged. A regular cup of the frozen treat runs $2.75, with the large $3.75 and super size $4.75.

But the gelato doesn't stop with the scoop — the post-visit, sugar-fueled guilt trip is more than worth it when it comes to the cold drink gelato creations.

Gelato shakes and floats punch up classics, but Rocky Roast's "Lava Lamp," brings together Sprite, raspberry flavoring and a scoop of your favorite flavor of gelato to make something too delicious. And the best part — each of these specialty drinks run $3.50 for a regular, more than filling, cup.

The Gervais Street shop, which opened Aug. 15, cozies up its space with booths lining the front wall and a bar area overlooking the barista area.

Visitors line the wooden counter, tapping their toes to "You Can Make It If You Try," as employees take orders and sweep up, sporting '60s-tastic tie-dye aprons.

A fireplace and issues of Rolling Stone magazine add to the ambiance of the back room, separated from the rest of the shop with an open wall. And glass cases of muffins, cookies and scones make for the perfect study break or lazy Sunday afternoon snack.

Peace Love & Rocky Roast does also offer a lunch-type menu of "snacks," including chicken salad, egg salad or seafood salad, each served on a butter croissant or a bed of lettuce.

The coffee house's breakfast menu, although limited, features a sausage, egg and cheese croissant for just $3.25 or a $2 cup of oatmeal, available in either maple and brown sugar or baked apple.

Peace Love & Rocky Roast seems like the perfect locale for a quaint date or a relaxed business meeting. The music isn't overpowering, the people are friendly and the shop doesn't seem too crowded.

But will people come?

The independent shop sits within a stone's throw of Starbucks, and traffic currently seems to overwhelmingly favor the corporate behemoth.

An employee at the shop said business has slowly increased since the shop opened in August.

Only time will tell if the trend continues. For both your sake and the store's, it should.

Peace Love & Rocky Roast is located at 923 Gervais St.