Q & A with Emily Saleeby, SG Vice President

New No. 2 talks about plans to lead Senate

Q First off, you’re the new student body vice president. How does that feel?
A I’m excited to have this opportunity to serve the University of South Carolina.

Q Tell us a little about yourself.
A I’m from Florence. My major is business management marketing. Right now I’m minoring in sports and entertainment management. I started Student Government as a sophomore. The beginning of my sophomore year I came in and applied to be a senator, and from there I’ve gotten very involved, and I’m excited about what SG has to offer the university, and I just kind of grew into it.

Q What are you plans for SG?
A Pretty much, I just want to give you a basic answer. I want to improve the University of South Carolina to the best university it can possibly be under myself, (Student Body President) Joe Wright and (Treasurer) Emily Supil. My goal is to be a leader for students, and any way I could do that I would be willing to do so. I’m in this position to serve the university.

Q Do you work well with Wright and Supil?
A Ever since I’ve been in SG, I’ve known both of them and they are very supportive of me, and we have growing relationships and friendships.

Q If you had to get just one thing done in SG, what would it be?
A I don’t think there’s necessarily one thing I wish we could get done. I’d like to get Carolina Cab up and running as soon as possible; it’s a great initiative that SG has brought to USC, and it’s a great way to serve our students.

Q I know some people say Carolina Cab won’t be operational until the end of September. Do you think you can make that deadline?
A I would like to make that deadline.

Q Do you think it will be any earlier than that?
A I don’t know; all I can say is that I’d like to make that deadline, for sure.

Q Do you think there is a major problem with SG? If so, what is it?
A I’m not going to answer that question. All I’m going to say is that we have a great Senate, and we have a lot of people in this organization who really want to work for this university and really want to work for the students in this university, and I’m behind them 100 percent.

Q You came to this position following former Student Body Vice President Katie Thompson’s resignation. What do you think of her resignation?
A I would like to thank her for her service, and wish her well in her future endeavors. That’s all I’m going to say.