The Mix Tape: Five Columbia cinemas, movie ticket deals

Friday date nights, impromptu hall movie trips and a weekend visit from the family just aren’t complete without the perfect theater. Where are all the deals, and which movie hub offers the best concessions? With Nickelodeon acting as USC’s only near-campus theater outside the walls of the Russell House, it can be hard to navigate all of the city’s options. All the way from Columbiana to Dutch Square, The Mix has you covered with a rundown of the best ticket prices, student deals and all-around theater experiences. These are the five Columbia movie theaters we’re thinking about this week.

Nickelodeon Theatre — 937 Main St.

The Nickelodeon is the state’s token non-profit cinema, screening indie films and documentaries in its 75-seat Main Street theater. Established 1979, the theater is run by the Columbia Film Society, and hosts a number of other film and arts events for the city, including the hugely popular Indie Grits Festival. Nickelodeon Theatre hosts two evening screenings a day, and three matinee times each week. Tickets are $6.50 for students, $7.50 general admission and $5.50 for members during the evening showings — matinee screenings are 50 cents less. “Project Nim,” a film about the scientist-raised chimpanzee, will be showing tonight at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., and documentary “Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure” will have two 10:30 p.m. screenings Friday and Saturday. “Terri,” the story of an overweight orphan, will be at Nickelodeon from Friday to next Thursday.

St. Andrews Road Cinema — 527 St. Andrews Road

More commonly known as the “dollar theater,” the St. Andrews Road cinema lives up to its nickname with the cheapest movies in the city — just $2 each. It does only screens movies that have already left the big screen, with current features including “Bad Teacher,” “Horrible Bosses” and “Green Lantern.” But it does offer a nice buffer between the silver screen and Redbox. Fresh-popped popcorn and sodas are cheap, but the theater is a little more run-down than the rest. The game room is pretty much out-of-commission, and the seats are worn, but it’s all worth the bottom of the barrel ticket price. The show times are more limited, but again, it’s all a part of the “dollar theater” experience.

AMC Dutch Square 14 — 421 Bush River Road

Dutch Square is a closer drive than the others on the list, excluding Nickelodeon; it’s just off the Bush River Road exit on I-126. Situated in the Dutch Square Mall, which really doesn’t house anything other than a Belk, the theater plays all of the big-name films. It’s big, and keeps the different showing rooms clean, but it does run $10 a ticket during peak hours. Popcorn and other snacks aren’t worth the price — although a large bag of movie theater popcorn, for about $7, does earn unlimited refills. Shows after 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday are $7.50, while showings before 6 p.m. during the week are only $5. Movie times before 11:55 a.m. on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays are only $5 as well.

Regal Columbiana Grande Stadium — 1250 Bower Parkway

The Columbiana theater, a part of the Regal chain, is the definition of a mega movie spot, with all the overpriced snacks and jacked up ticket prices ($10 for adults). But with the chain theater comes convenience — the grande stadium is right next to the Columbiana mall and all the other shops and restaurants Harbison has to offer — and weekly deals. Regal offers $2 candy every Monday and $2 popcorn every Tuesday with membership in the Regal Crown Club. Everything is new and the theater is a popular spot in the Harbison weekend scene. Regal also houses a 3-D screen for all the latest, including the current two-week showing of “The Lion King 3D,” which has nostalgic students heading out to the Irmo-area theater.

Carmike Cinemas 14 — 122 Afton Ct.

Carmike, another theater in the Harbison area, cuts down prices with more limited movie and time selections and deals fit for the college budget. The theater’s most well-known bargain is its daily 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. $5 tickets, compared to the normal $10 adult tickets. Matinee tickets are $7, and although the snack counter is pretty limited, a Carmike rewards card can score theater-goers half-off deals on nachos, popcorn and drink combos. The films are a little more out-of-date, with “Crazy, Stupid, Love” and “Cowboys & Aliens” still on the marquee. But ticket deals, and a more updated showings list than the “dollar theater” make Carmike a worthy movie stop.