Board picks alumni association director as new secretary

Amy Stone takes over administration role in January

Stone, 61, will earn $180,000 a year in her new role, which begins Jan. 1. She will serve as chief liaison to university administrators, set the agenda for board meetings, sign all university contracts and plan commencement exercises. Stone will also carry the university mace and be responsible for USC's official seal. The role wields plenty of influence but is often behind the scenes.

Stone graduated from the university in 1972 and returned for her master's in 1976. She served as president of the Carolina Alumni Association from 2008 to 2010, which gave her a spot on the board of trustees.

"I had the opportunity to learn a good bit about how the university operates and how the board functions, and what the responsibilities of the board are," Stone said.

Keeping up with technology and meeting the need many have for instantaneous information will be a priority in her new role, Stone said.

She previously worked with the City Center Partnership, luring Mast General Store among others to locate in downtown Columbia. She has also raised money for several private schools, including Hammond School here in Columbia. Her husband Mack Stone, who once played for Carolina's football team, is director of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center.

"In some ways, I've been preparing for this my entire life," Stone said. "I certainly have a deep love for the university. I'm a Gamecock through and through."

Stone takes the job from Tommy Stepp, who has served as secretary for the past 24 years. Stepp will retire with 50 years of service at the end of 2011.

The unanimous vote from the board of trustees occurred during a specially called meeting Monday morning; members had interviewed three other candidates for the position in recent weeks.

Those candidates were USC administrator Charlie Fitzsimons, Columbia lawyer Brian Comer and Virginia attorney Cameron Howell.