In our opinion: Cell phone towers are good, USC's reasoning is faulty

New addition will be beneficial, but university's explanation doesn't make sense

Once the new cell tower is installed on the building, service will extend to the bottom levels of T-Coop.

This is a good idea because the occasional text or phone call can serve as a decent study break. Also, it will be convenient for getting in contact with the people you are meeting to study with.

However, we don't buy that the university is making sure we have cell service below ground for safety reasons.

You want us to have cell service so you can send out Carolina Alert text messages?

Why don't you start by actually sending out these messages?

We've never received one text despite past crime situations and the recent flood emergencies where texting would have served as a nice form of notification.
Yes, it would be awful to be stuck underground at the library oblivious to an emergency taking place because you didn't receive a text.

It's also awful to be stuck above ground with your car flooded and swept away because you didn't receive the same text.

We'd prefer Carolina Alert focus on its priority level of sending out these texts before they work out the kinks of which parts of which buildings are dead zones.
But while they're at it, they can also install a tower in the Carolina Coliseum. We'd hate to be stuck in a journalism or a hotel, restaurant and tourism management class and not know about a disaster that's taking place.
Or worse — being stuck in a boring class and simply unable to text. OK, that's a joke. And so are promises of a safety text.