In our opinion: Think Pink: Support awareness initiatives

Today, we at The Daily Gamecock want you to forget about your usual wardrobe of soft-toned polos, band shirts and the ever-loyal garnet-and-black Gamecock wear. Push all of that aside, dig into your closet and keep one thing in mind: Think pink.

In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we want to "pink out" the USC campus. Students should find their best pink wear and put it on to support those who have conquered this disease or those who are still fighting it. Mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts — we would not be here if not for the women in our lives, and every effort needed to stop this cancer should be made.

While we want this day to center around breast cancer, October is a month that truly focuses on all that women still face in our country. Domestic abuse and pregnancy loss awareness are both issues observed this month, and both cause nearly insurmountable difficulties for women today.

Your pink apparel will represent your support of efforts to compete this disease and to promote women's health. But we don't want to stop there. It is easy to wear a shirt of a certain color, or jokingly stick a "Save the Ta-Tas" bumper sticker to your car. What this month really demands from each of us is action, not just passive support. Donate to the cause, or volunteer at an event. Better yet, find out ways you could help out at local hospitals or recovery clinics. It does not take a medical professional to heal someone. An understanding word or a reassuring smile can do just much — and sometimes more.

It's crucial to remember, especially with all the awareness events going on, that behind the shirts and ribbons and slogans, there are very real women who are suffering through a very real affliction. Keep them in mind as you put on your pink wear, and look for ways to make your awareness an active service to those who need it.