LGBT rights advocates discuss fight for equality in RH forum

Speakers see progress, but struggle continues

South Carolina’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender organizations have come a long way from the hardships faced in the past, but activists continue to raise awareness and seek equality for homosexuals.

In honor of LGBT History Month, LGBT Programs and Leadership Programming partnered to host a forum Wednesday night featuring gay rights advocates who discussed their experiences in the fight for equality.

Drew Newton, graduate assistant for LGBT Programming, saw the forum as an opportunity to celebrate USC’s progress and the history of LGBT.  

“These activists are icons and motivators for those who support them,” Newton said. “We hope that people understand their progress, changes and difficulties.”

Alvin McEwin, a graduate of Winthrop University, spoke at the forum about his college experiences in the 1980s and how society’s views on homosexuality have shifted. He expressed his struggle with isolation in college as an openly gay student. It was uncommon for open homosexuals to hold campus leadership positions and express concerns publicly out of fear and shame from society.

“You could not tell others about your thoughts because they wouldn’t understand,” McEwin said.

Speakers also discussed how they were criticized and shamed religiously and socially for their sexuality.

“It was totally different when I was in school,” McEwin said. “People lost their minds. They put biblical slogans on ... posters. Back then you didn’t talk about being gay. Even it if was a rumor, they wanted to fight you.”  

Tony Snell, who was president of South Carolina Pride from 1995 to 2000, introduced himself as the “Bible-thumping Republican.” He often judged homosexuals, but says that redemption is what changed him.

Snell took South Carolina Pride on the road with hopes of equality for homosexuals in South Carolina, but he was faced with hatred instead.

“There were flyers telling people to stay away for fear of AIDS and homosexuality,” Snell said. “Preachers said homosexuality is Satan’s plot for our children.”

He also discussed the cancellation of events in Myrtle Beach, including a highly anticipated concert from the Village People. Citizens did not want homosexuality mixed with their family values.

“We still had our events though,” Snell said. “We had some support from businesses that understood that we were important.”

Harriet Hancock spoke at about her experience as the parent of gay child. She wanted him to feel accepted, which lead to the 1982 founding of Parents and Families of Lesbians and Gays in Columbia. She focused on educating society about transgenders.

“It was tough back in those days,” Hancock said. “People would beat you with the Bible and quote scriptures. They don’t do that anymore.”

The forum highlighted many other issues for homosexuals. Homosexuality was to be kept a secret in the workforce, and people could be fired over their sexuality. Columbia was the first city in South Carolina to have protection for employment for sexual orientation.

The activists said they are proud of the progress for homosexuals at USC and South Carolina.

“More students are out and open.” McEwin said. “I always get amazed when I see a gay alliance that is open. Don’t take that for granted.”