Thomson Student Health Center administers hundreds of flu shots

More than 300 vaccines given Tuesday on Russell House patio

Students and faculty rolled up their sleeves in preparation for this year’s flu season at the Thomson Student Health Center’s second vaccine clinic of the year’s flu mitigation campaign.

Staff from the Student Health Center were on the Russell House Patio from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday administering the vaccines, which cost $15 for students and $25 for faculty. The vaccines will be available at 16 more scheduled public clinics, which will run through Nov. 3.

In past years, the health center has distributed approximately 2,500 vaccines per flu season, according to Student Health Services executive director Debbie Beck. However, nursing service manager Janet Jackson said that 2009’s H1N1 epidemic combined with improved communication and available information about influenza has yielded a higher demand for immunizations. By 3 p.m., SHS had administered more than 320 vaccines.

“I was really impressed with the number of students who were glad to be vaccinated,” Jackson said. “Flu can be deadly, and people are more aware of that now than ever before.”

This year’s vaccine will protect against three viruses that researchers have predicted will be most common: H1N1, H2N3 and influenza B. Registered nurses will administer more vaccines today and Thursday on the patio in front of Thompson Student Health Center from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. SHS will also host a drive-through clinic at the Carolina Coliseum parking lot Friday.