USC begins to move on from Stephen Garcia's dismissal

Hyman, Spurrier, players comment on former USC quarterback

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said he learned Monday night of quarterback Stephen Garcia’s impending dismissal, and wishes Garcia’s career hadn’t ended in such a manner.

“I don’t like it,” said Spurrier of Garcia’s departure Wednesday on the SEC teleconference. “I wish he had stayed. I wish he could have finished his career as a Gamecock, one way or another.”

Athletics Director Eric Hyman dismissed Garcia from the USC football program on Tuesday after a failed random substance abuse test for alcohol. The random testing was a term of the contract Garcia agreed upon prior to being reinstated to the football team in August after his fifth career suspension.

Hyman, speaking to The Daily Gamecock prior to a meeting of the USC chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists on campus Wednesday night, said the dismissal was ultimately not his decision but rather Garcia’s, as Garcia violated the guidelines set forth for him.

“The ball was in [Garcia’s] court,” said Hyman, who added he had a good relationship with Garcia.

Spurrier was asked indirectly about his relationship with Garcia, specifically if he had been too critical of the Lutz, Fla., native during his career. Spurrier implied he didn’t feel he had been.

“I try to praise all of our players according to how they perform,” Spurrier said. “It’s unfortunate what happened with Stephen. It’s all over now; we don’t need to rehash it. Just an unfortunate situation.”

Spurrier said he had a positive conversation with Garcia prior to learning of his dismissal about his role as the backup to new starter Connor Shaw and how Garcia was a play away from reclaiming the job. With Garcia now gone, Shaw’s backup will either be redshirt sophomore Andrew Clifford or redshirt freshman Dylan Thompson.

“Dylan and Andrew are pretty even,” Spurrier said. “It might be who has the best warm-up in pregame practice, to tell you the truth.”

That strategy was used prior to the Kentucky game, Spurrier said. Thompson ran with the second team in warm-ups prior to kickoff but Clifford looked sharper, so he became the first quarterback off the bench, Spurrier said.

Both Clifford and Thompson played this past weekend and recorded their first career touchdowns — Clifford’s a passing touchdown, Thompson’s a rushing score.

Garcia’s test reportedly occurred prior to the Kentucky game, but that apparently was not the reason Garcia did not play against UK, as Spurrier announced on the Thursday before the game an elbow injury would likely hold Garcia out. When asked Tuesday prior to Garcia’s dismissal, Spurrier said he was unsure of the exact severity of the injury.

Clifford, a close friend of Garcia’s, said that Garcia is “taking it pretty hard.”

“But I think he’s taking responsibility for his actions,” Clifford said. “We all support him and we’re going to miss him, but I think the team’s ready to go.”

Fellow quarterback Seth Strickland said he and Garcia talked “a good bit” after the dismissal was announced.

“It’s a tough time for him, no one’s denying that, but I like to think everything happens for a reason,” Strickland said. “Maybe it’s best for both parties. I know all of us are wishing the best for him. We all love him and support him.”