Baseball closes out fall practice

Tanner pleased with offseason progress

South Carolina took one step closer toward beginning its second straight title defense, closing out fall practice over the weekend with the annual Garnet and Black World Series.

Looking back on the team’s workouts and scrimmages over the past several weeks, coach Ray Tanner said he’s run them as he has any other season.

“We don’t deviate from our practice schedule too often from one year to the next,” Tanner said. “We try to do the same things, we try to get better, we try to stress the fundamentals, have some competition on the weekends and get as prepared as we can to go into the next season. I don’t think about what’s happened in the past or too much about the future. We just think about what we’ve got to do today and try to put a pretty good team together.”

Besides having an opportunity to assess the newest members of the team, Tanner said the fall provided his veterans with a chance to become better leaders.

“I needed to see those guys assume this team a little bit, and I’m quite pleased about where we are from that standpoint,” Tanner said. “I think when you’re able to bring back guys like that you’ve got a chance to put a pretty good team back on the field. You’re going to have some new players — everybody does — but if you have enough veterans that will assume the proper type of ownership, I think you’ve got a chance to be pretty good.”

One of the main issues facing USC heading into the off-season was replacing the left side of its infield after the departure of second baseman Scott Wingo, shortstop Peter Mooney and third baseman Adrian Morales. Although changes remain possible as the start of the 2012 season gets closer, Tanner said frontrunners to start in those positions are Chase Vergason, Joey Pankake and LB Dantzler, respectively.

“[Chase is] a solid player, junior college guy, knows how to play and a heady guy. Not the most talented guy out there, but he was able to perform because of his experience and his knowledge,” Tanner said. “[Joey] had some errors early but didn’t make as many late. He’s very talented, has a tremendous throwing arm and may end up pitching a little bit.

“[LB] ended up leading our team in hitting in fall drills and did a nice job defensively. We have some work to do there, but I think he’s a pretty good player and could be an offensive guy for us come spring.”

Tanner also expressed praise for the performances of Dante Rosenberg and Grayson Greiner, who are slated to take the majority of playing time at catcher after the departure of Brady Thomas and Robert Beary.

“[They] probably had the best falls of any two catchers since I’ve been coaching as far as a tandem is concerned,” Tanner said. “Those guys caught the majority of the innings the entire fall and were outstanding, and the part that had me most excited was their ability to play defense. Those guys really made me comfortable behind the plate, and I think that’s a big reason our pitching staff had a really good fall.”

Greiner joins the Gamecocks after an impressive career at Blythewood High School.

Coming off his first fall practice at USC, Tanner said he was impressed with his ability to adapt quickly to the higher playing level.

“Grayson was as good as you can be as a true freshman. His maturity was beyond his years,” Tanner said. “He handled the pitchers, didn’t have a passed ball, threw out maybe 50 percent of the runners that tried to go against him in our scrimmages and certainly has some offensive potential. You can’t get in the lineup unless you catch well, and he has done that.”

The Gamecocks return with the majority of its pitching staff, including All-American left-hander Michael Roth.

Along with the strengths the senior brings to the mound, Tanner said Roth has been just as valuable as a voice in the locker room and should continue to assume that role as the season approaches.

“When Roth tells everyone [something], they all respond. Whatever he says they listen to,” Tanner said. “Years ago I made the decisions [regarding practice times during the fall], and now I don’t. Michael Roth makes those decisions. He gets with his teammates and says, ‘The football game’s at 7:15; let’s do our practice schedule this way.’ They’d tell me that’s how they were going to do it, and I’d say, ‘Sounds great.’”

Joining Roth among returning pitchers is right-hander Matt Price, whom Tanner hopes to move into the starting rotation after spending the last two seasons as USC’s closer.

Although that’s the plan at this point, Tanner said he wouldn’t be opposed to Price returning to his role in the bullpen if it becomes more suitable.

“I don’t think you ever go into a situation where you refuse to change,” Tanner said. “We’ll probably make some adjustments as we need to, but Matt Price could pitch a lot more innings than he’s pitched here before. That may be the way we go, but I think you have to evaluate it as you go. I think Matt probably feels the same way.”