Clemson's Tajh Boyd denies "average" tweet

Tigers' QB deactivates Twitter account

It appears Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd won’t be conversing with the Twitter community any time soon.

The first-team All-ACC selection told reporters Tuesday that he had deactivated his account to avoid negativity following the Tigers’ 34-13 defeat at South Carolina Saturday night.

Leading up to the annual rivalry game, rumors spread that the redshirt sophomore had posted a tweet calling the Gamecocks’ defensive line “average,” a rumor he denied when asked Tuesday.

USC was said to have used the rumored tweet as motivation as it prepared for Saturday’s matchup. Boyd said that after one of Carolina’s five sacks Saturday night, defensive lineman Melvin Ingram said, “Y’all need to stop tweeting.”

Swinney Says No Word From OSU Regarding Morris: Shortly after Urban Meyer was hired as the next coach at Ohio State, speculation began that Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris would soon be targeted to fill the same position with the Buckeyes.

When asked about these rumors Tuesday, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said he had received no word about OSU pursuing Morris to join its coaching staff.

“I wouldn’t be surprised because [Morris] is a great coach,” Swinney said. “I’ve had calls from other people, about five, but not Ohio State.”

The Tigers’ offense ranked among the best in the ACC in their first year under Morris, averaging 439.3 yards per game while scoring 33.3 points per game. Morris was previously the offensive coordinator at Tulsa before joining Clemson’s staff in 2011.

“Chad Morris is a great coach. We’re lucky to have him,” Swinney said. “Chad is committed to Clemson. He loves it here. I don’t see him leaving for anyplace until it’s his opportunity to be a BCS head coach.”

Mullen Denies Speculation Over Penn State Job: Speaking for the first team since being rumored as one of the top candidates to become the next coach at Penn State, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen denied any such reports and said he has no plans to leave his position with the Bulldogs.

“You know our policy. We talk Mississippi State football and that’s all we talk about,” Mullen said. “I tell [the players] I’m happy here and let’s worry about being here. Every single job that came open last year my name came up. I have people texting me saying someone said this or that. I’m pretty busy so I don’t have much time to pay attention to it.”

Mullen, who is in his third season as head coach at MSU, was born in Drexel Hill, Penn., and his father graduated from Penn State in 1966, but said the connection to the Nittany Lions shouldn’t indicate any possibility that he would leave MSU after the season.

“I cheered for them and Notre Dame [growing up], but I was raised in a Catholic household,” Mullen said. “Probably no different than a kid that was raised in [Starkville, Miss.] that grew up a Mississippi State fan.”