In our opinion: Biographer's speech worth attendance

Walter Isaacson to give speech Tuesday night

The riveting life of Steve Jobs transformed much of the world — and how its many pieces connect together. We now live in a culture rife with iPhones and iPads, and many of us couldn't imagine our lives without our devices.
Jobs was an intriguing character, a genius with flaws, a CEO with a hands-on approach. His story followed the arc of typical American bildungsroman — a tale of rags-to-riches that embodies America's entrepreneurial spirit. His death earlier this fall left much of a nation reeling.

For those in the Columbia area, USC will offer a special opportunity Tuesday night. Walter Isaacson, author of the definitive, authorized best-seller on Jobs, is slated to speak inside the Capstone Campus Room at 7 p.m.

Isaacson will surely deliver a powerful lecture. His hundreds of interviews — many with Jobs himself at his Palo Alto, Calif., home — provide the most enriching, illuminating portrait of America's most well-known persona.
He has previously written critically acclaimed biographies of Thomas Edison and Benjamin Franklin. Isaacson's book provides a deep understanding of what made Jobs tick, including the recounting of many scenes and detailed conversations that led to some of America's most-discussed business deals.

In recent years, USC has delivered some high-quality speakers. Sometimes, the lectures are promoted well and heavily attended by students. Other times, they're not, and outside guests may believe USC is apathetic. We hope and believe that's not the case.

We hope the campus room is packed to the brim on Tuesday night. This is a speaker worth hearing, and it's a speaker we are exceedingly glad is coming to our campus.