Leadership necessary to handle 24/7 media

Transparency positive outcome of new technology, growth of news outlets

The NBA Lockout and "Occupy Wall Street" reveal the difficulty of organizing strong leadership and accountability within large groups during the age of instantaneous internet and television coverage.

Society has transitioned from allowing a single person to shape media perception to constant scrutiny by anyone through countless platforms.

Martin Luther King Jr. struggled with alcoholism and womanizing and the smaller media had greater discretion about his actions. Franklin Delano Roosevelt served as a United States president for two terms in a wheel chair and limited photos and video were released.

Today, secondary media outlets would run rampant interviewing bitter mistresses and fame-hungry friends who would have revealed the sexual promiscuity and alcohol struggles of Dr. King. These same news sources would also question the strength and leadership ability of a man confined to a wheelchair. Today’s media would overshadow the leadership ability of King and Roosevelt.

Attempts at leadership are challenging in modern society because of the instantaneous media coverage from many sources, which requires stronger leaders to be crafted.

Derek Fisher, the president of the National Basketball Players Association, was put under the microscope by the media throughout the NBA Lockout. The head of the NBPA, Billy Hunter, was pitted against Fisher even thought they were on the same side. Hunter’s ulterior motives of leaving a strong legacy were painted as a higher priority to him than finishing his job. The NBA commissioner David Stern used the media in an attempt to pit the fans against the selfish NBA players. The process was an endless chess match played through instantaneous media.

There are over 300 NBA players. Many use Twitter accounts to share their thoughts on the lockout’s negotiating. Ron Artest even challenged Michael Jordan, the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, to a game of one-on-one to resolve the lockout. The frequent chiming in of the players resulted in a splintering of the unified group. Many wanted different outcomes.

Similarly, the "Occupy Wall Street" movement lacks uniform leadership. "Occupy Wall Street" has a general goal — to form a unified voice for the 99 percent, to hold the 1 percent accountable and institute reform. However, the movement does not have a general leader. The group that branded "Occupy Wall Street," Adbusters, said in the New York Times on Monday that they’ve spoken with key protesters, but the key protesters did not want long-term leadership roles.
Though more public struggles result from strict transparency, it allows movements like Occupy Wall Street to reach the masses more quickly than they could have even ten years ago. The 24-hour news cycle forces television programmers to reach to fill content, at times giving every detail related to the NBA Lockout’s splintering leadership.

Accountability is necessary and instantaneous communication provides to an unprecedented degree, which is a great thing.