New tech makes Highway speed reform a must

Improvements to cars allow higher limits

This past month brought road trips to Atlanta for an Odd Future concert, and Knoxville for the USC game — north of 12 hours on the road. This led to the realization that speed limit reform must happen, as the current speed limits in place are too low and not adjusted to newer car safety features — wasting drivers’ time.

When you have a population density map that is largely dominated by those in the age range 35-50,it immediately becomes clear why politicians focus on particular issues. The baby boomers turn out for elections and make up the largest age demographic of Americans. It’s just unfortunate that a substantial portion of the population is left out — along with many relevant issues such as speed limit reform.

The speed limit should be determined from a combination wreck history and car type. That sounds difficult, but to make it simple we’ll begin with not a full-fledged system change, but with a highway speed reform system.

We’ve seen through Toyota what happens when mistakes occur. A brand is forever tarnished when mistakes happen, so automakers can be trusted on some level to provide an accurate assessment. A national committee will take automaker recommendations on a car-by-car basis as to what the maximum car speed should be.

Efficiency and logic will finally be introduced into the mix.

We must finally begin showing that our generation, the one of multitasking and efficiency is tired of wasting hours on the road. We want a system that makes sense, government too often is overly bureaucratic and goes against everything our generation stands for.