Olympian promotes healthy lifestyle

Marathon runner visits USC before running Governor's Cup

The first woman to win an Olympic marathon spoke on campus Thursday about her passion for running and living a healthy lifestyle.  

Joan Benoit Samuelson joined students, faculty and community members at a forum titled “There Is No Finish Line.”  

Samuelson was the first woman to win the marathon at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. She continues to make her mark on the world as a consultant for Nike Inc. and as a clinician, conducting running, health and fitness clinics worldwide.

The forum began with a video that highlighted Samuelson’s accomplishments and positive remarks from her closest family, friends, employees and teammates.

“She broke the barrier for all who followed. When you’re the first person to do something, people recognize that you’re a ground breaker,” Nike employee Geoff Hollister said.

More than 30 years and two children later, Samuelson continues to run marathons. Her next race will be the half marathon at the South Carolina Governor’s Cup Road Race on Saturday.

“Every time I run a race, there’s a new goal,” Samuelson said.

Samuelson now helps to promote health and fitness through her work as a clinician and through the “Beach to Beacon Road Race,” a marathon she began in her hometown of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, to give people an opportunity to set goals for themselves and “come off the sidelines.”

“I promised myself to give back to a sport and state that’s given so much to me,” Samuelson said.

Samuelson shared training tips with the audience, emphasizing the importance of making definite, realistic goals to stay motivated.

“Run your own race,” Samuelson said, “Too often people think they that they have to run a marathon to be a runner.”

Samuelson also emphasized the importance of healthy eating.

“I eat what my body craves within reason,” Samuelson said, “but I try to keep food unprocessed as much as possible.”

Thomas Chandler, dean of the Arnold School of Public Health, which sponsored the event, had high hopes that Samuelson’s visit would give students and faculty of all ages a “better understanding of a healthy, fit lifestyle.”

According to third-year athletic training student Brianah Sass, most college students don’t have time to exercise, but simple suggestions like “walking to class instead of taking the shuttle or driving” can make a difference.

Samuelson lauded fitness programs and exercise research in Columbia and hopes to see more fitness programs for teenagers to promote healthy living.

“It doesn’t matter when or where they run, as long as people are moving and having fun,” she said.