South Carolina prepares to face Arkansas, remain in SEC East race

Gamecocks hope to avoid repeat performance of 2010 matchup

After falling to Arkansas 41-21 last November at Williams-Brice Stadium, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier made his Gamecocks view the tape to see just what the Razorbacks had done to them.

“I remember we took about two days off just to watch Arkansas play offense and defense,” said Spurrier Tuesday during his weekly press conference. “They played that well.”

Close to a year later, No. 10 USC is headed to Fayetteville to face the eighth-ranked Hogs in the considerably less heralded of the two biggest matchups in Southeastern Conference play this week.

And while Arkansas has looked shaky the past two weeks in come-from-behind wins at Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, which are a combined 2-8 in SEC play, Spurrier said he expects a tremendous challenge out of the Razorbacks, who have a “knack for winning” and that the Gamecocks must play better in order to have any chance at victory.

“They’ve found a way to win some games where maybe they gave up some yards and some points and this, that and the other,” Spurrier said. “But you’ve got to admire the way they play.”

When USC played Arkansas last season, the Gamecocks had little on the line, as the following week’s game against Florida would be for the SEC Eastern Division championship no matter the outcome against the Razorbacks. The lack of urgency wasn’t the reason for the 20-point loss though, Spurrier said.

“We just got beat,” he said. “We just got soundly beat. They played extremely well. We didn’t play our best, but they blocked and tackled and covered. They had a good game plan. They just beat us. They just beat us soundly. We have no excuses about that.”

This year, a great deal is at stake. At 5-1 in the league, USC is tied for first place with Georgia in the East. The Gamecocks own the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Bulldogs thanks to their 45-42 win in Athens on Sept. 10, but UGA has the more favorable remaining schedule.

Spurrier said the Gamecocks “probably” need to win their final two SEC games against Arkansas and Florida in Columbia on Nov. 12 if they want to repeat as division champions and return to the SEC title game in Atlanta.

“We know what’s on the line,” Spurrier said. “And it is sort of fun to know there is no room for error. If we’re going to win the East, we’re not going to back into it. We’ve got to go play ball.”

Ellington to have bigger role: Slotback Bruce Ellington should have more of an on-field presence after being limited against Tennessee with a slight hamstring pull, Spurrier said Tuesday.

“Bruce is ready now,” said Spurrier during his weekly press conference. “He practiced full go [Monday] night. He should be a little bit more involved this week.”

Ellington was used sparingly against the Vols, recording no stats. He was not utilized as USC’s wildcat formation quarterback the entire game.

Lattimore update: Spurrier said he didn’t believe any definite date has been set for tailback Marcus Lattimore to have surgery on his knee, but the procedure will happen “probably sometime next week.”

Lattimore suffered ligament and cartilage damage in the knee against Mississippi State on Oct. 15. Fullback Matt Coffee, who also suffered a knee injury against the Bulldogs, should have surgery this week, Spurrier said.

Lattimore traveled with the team to Tennessee on Saturday and will be welcome on the trip to Fayetteville, Spurrier said.

“It was good to have him with us last week,” Spurrier said. “If he wants to go, certainly we’ve got room for him.”

Conference mark on horizon: With a win over Arkansas or Florida, the Gamecocks will win the sixth conference game of the season, which would be a new school record. The Gamecocks have gone 5-3 in SEC play four times — in 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2010.

“We got a chance at a lot of first time things,” said Spurrier. “But really the only thing you concentrate is playing the game.”

Arkansas receiver suspended: SEC Commissioner Mike Slive suspended Arkansas receiver Marquel Wade on Tuesday for one game after the freshman ejected from the Razorbacks’ 31-28 win at Vanderbilt due to a illegal hit on a opposing punt returner.

Wade will miss Arkansas’ game against the Gamecocks.

According to the Associated Press, Wade apologized Monday, saying he thought Jonathan Krause, the Vandy return man, had the football.

Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino released a short statement through the school Tuesday, saying Arkansas has “addressed the matter and will comply with the league’s decision.”