USC names two Marshall candidates

Student, alumnus to compete for scholarship to study in UK

Fourth-year baccalaureus student Ronald James Talbert and recent graduate James C. Manning share more than just a nickname.

Before Manning graduated in May of 2011, both “Jim”s were distinguished Carolina Scholars and members of a tight-knit South Carolina Honors College community, both served on the Student Government Constitutional Council and both shared a desire to study in Great Britain. This year, the two friends find themselves vying for one of the nation’s most prestigious academic awards to make their dream a reality.

Talbert and Manning have been nominated as USC’s candidates for the highly competitive Marshall Scholarship, a comprehensive award founded as an expression of British gratitude for the U.S.’s economic assistance after World War II. This year, the scholarship will fund 33 American students for graduate study at a university of their choice in Great Britain. USC has produced two Marshall scholars in the past 10 years, and is the only school in South Carolina to have graduated a Marshall winner.

“I think it’s a testament to the top academically talented students we have here at USC,” said Novella Beskid, director of the Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs. “Not only do they have the grades, but they’re ready to be true leaders and ambassadors for the U.S. as Marshall scholars.”

Jim Talbert

A graduate of Waccamaw High School in Pawley’s Island, Ronald James “Jim” Talbert came to USC intent to pursue his love for physics, but his experiences led him to also discover the importance of science in public life.

“If you think about how much of your day can be traced back to scientific endeavor, you can see how it has crept into every area of society, from philosophy to history and especially in public policy.” Talbert said. “Many of the most important political arguments that are debated are a result of scientific inquiry — from abortion and the question of when life begins to the protection of the environment.”

In his time at USC, Talbert has served on the Judicial Council and been active in the Religion and Science Initiative. While recently most of his time has been spent researching scientific models and theoretical physics, Talbert says his one of his most rewarding pursuits has been his educational work with Carolina Science Outreach, an organization he co-founded in 2009 to clarify media misconceptions of science in the community.

John Nelson, a biology professor and chair of the University Marshall Scholarship Committee, says Talbert’s unique ability to explain science will make him an excellent ambassador in the U.K.
“Anyone can understand what he wants to do because he’s able to talk about something that’s very complicated, like theoretical physics, in very simple terms,” Nelson said. “It’s so important to have scientists who are really good [with] people.”

Talbert made up his mind early on that he wanted to study at Oxford and eventually earn a doctoral degree in physics. He says he will continue to search for means to get to Oxford, even if he isn’t named a Marshall scholar.

“The university offered me the opportunity to know that this is what I want to do and this is something valuable to do for others,” Talbert said.  “It’s been a wonderful experience.”

Jim Manning

James C. Manning has always been one for numbers. The Columbia native and graduate of A.C. Flora High School completed his undergraduate career at USC with a degree in math and statistics and a minor in political science. With a 4.0 GPA, he landed a spot in law school at the University of Virginia, where he currently studies. In his four years at Carolina, Manning divided his time among Student Government, the Residence Hall Association, Phi Beta Kappa Honor society and Phi Mu Epsilon mathematics society as well as a string of research initiatives. These have included studies on financial math at University of Illinois and on applied math with the National Science Foundation at Rutgers University.

After studying abroad at the University of Kent in the U.K. his senior year, Manning says he fully realized math’s relevance in politics, particularly in the British legal system. He put together a senior thesis on a statistical analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court and hopes to carry on such political research with an empirical analysis on the U.K.’s new Supreme Court model. He plans to pursue a master’s degree in legal and political theory at University College London and hopes his experience with law in the U.K. will give him the background he needs to teach in the U.S.

“Obviously, we have a common law heritage from Britain, but British law is still very relevant today,” Manning said. “The cultures are very similar, but we each have a lot that we can learn from each other.”

His goal is education, but given Manning’s extensive research on the judicial system, Nelson says he wouldn’t be surprised to find this Jim in politics someday.

“He’s been one of the most impressive pre-law students to ever come out of USC, and he’s one of these people that’s not going to stop,” Nelson said.

Over the past few weeks, Talbert and Manning have reconnected over email, wishing each other luck and sharing in anxiety over the regional interviews in Atlanta next week that will determine whether or not they are included in the nation’s next group of Marshall scholars. Despite the gravity of the results on their academic careers, both agree that a double nomination for the award is an honor in itself and a result of the strong academic and financial support at USC.

“They look for well-rounded students who will contribute in a meaningful way to their chosen field, and I think my time at Carolina has prepared me for just that,” Manning said. “I’ve known Jim [Talbert] since his freshman year, and I can honestly say that South Carolina has two very strong finalists.”