USC student raises breast cancer awareness as Miss Southern Belle

Lauren Rountree uses new title to promote pageant's cause

It’s all about the glitz, glamor, crowns, gowns — and breast cancer. Miss Southern Belle beauty pageant has backed the glitter and glam with a driving cause: breast cancer awareness.

And this year’s crowned belle is a USC student.

Lauren Rountree, a third-year broadcast journalism student, took the top title at the beauty pageant, which promoted awareness during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Oct. 22 at the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia.

Rountree, who has competed in pageants for the past seven years, has taken on a greater cause with her crowning — she is now the voice behind the movement in South Carolina.

For the next year, she will travel the state and give speeches to raise breast cancer awareness on behalf of the Miss Southern Belle pageant alongside a breast cancer survivor. She will make her first crowned appearance at the annual Gervais Street Carolina Carillon Holiday Parade Dec. 3.

“My mother’s sister is a breast cancer survivor so it hits really close to home for me,” Rountree said.

The all-ages competition’s coordinator Lena Clay — a breast cancer survivor herself — is the inspiration behind the pageant’s cause. All of the proceeds from the actual event benefit breast cancer awareness, and all of the money Rountree raises in the next year will also go back to benefit the efforts.

Rountree competed in the 19 and older age division and took the overall title in her win. The pageant was broken down into three parts: theme wear — or pink wear — evening gown and on-stage question.

“The on-stage question was probably my favorite, because it’s not so much about the outward appearance,” Rountree said.

Her question, “What does the word ‘survivor’ mean to you?” tied the on-stage competition back to the heart of the cause.

In recounting her answer Rountree said, “It’s going through the daily trials and tribulations plus so much more. They’re really just so strong.”

In addition to the crown, banner and trophy, Rountree’s crowning prize was the upcoming appearance at the famed Carillion Holiday Parade. And although Rountree has competed in competitions throughout high school and college, she said the tie back to the cause is what sparked her involvement in Miss Southern Belle.

Rountree got her start in the circuit at Chapin High School’s pageant and has competed in smaller pageants ever since. She was crowned Miss South Carolina Girl in 2009, centering her experience on her talent: dance and ballet. However, her involvement in service has since driven her involvement.

“My number one thing is community service,” Rountree said. “I’m in a sorority too, and it’s my main thing. I have such a big network of people there.”

The newly-crowned Miss Southern Belle — a Gamma Phi Beta sister — has also involved her sorority in her personal service project, Checkmate, which teaches elementary school students how to play chess.

Every Friday, she visits local elementary school and teaches kindergarten through fifth-grade students how to play the game.

Rountree said that she’s always played chess with her family, and it seemed like a good way to connect with students in the community. And although she is now a broadcast journalism student, she studied elementary education her first year at USC and still loves working with children.

USC’s crowned belle was recently elected as the chapter enrichment chair for Gamma Phi Beta, and will be fulfilling the mission of her title throughout the state for the next year both in and outside the realm of breast cancer awareness.

Find her on the float at the Carillon Holiday Parade and join her in effort to make Columbia think pink.