What’s in Five Points? Pandas and Jerry Brewer, of course

Administrator observes behavior, arrests in hospitality district

Yes, Jerry Brewer. And yes, he talked to the panda.

"When I walked by Bey's, the panda bear started talking to me," Brewer said. "He used to be one of our employees at the Russell House. He said, 'Hey, old timer, you down here for a nightcap?'"

Wait, so why was Jerry Brewer in Five Points? Did he want to halt the Halloween festivities, suspending them like a second round of booze-soaked fraternity rush?
Nope, he was just there to observe. Brewer is serving on a hospitality task force designed to review Columbia's hospitality zone. He is one of 12 community leaders on the panel — representing the University of South Carolina.

And what did he see?

"I saw a lot of fun and, well, creative costumes," Brewer said.

Among a smattering of other observations: two males lied to the police and were subsequently arrested. Others jaywalked across the street, neglecting the crosswalks. And some people were just mean to each other, using slur words and profanity that would startle those in any workplace. Brewer said he saw three arrests between 11 p.m. Friday and 3 a.m. Saturday.

Brewer said the university might consider a series of educational classes, reminding students how to treat one another while going out.

"That's something we have to look at," Brewer said. "Maybe we don't have a role. Maybe I don't ever need to go back to Five Points."

And for the record, Brewer said he had nothing to eat or drink during his jaunt.
"I didn't get the munchies," Brewer said. "From the smells going on down there and the looks of things, it didn't really entice me."