Columbia eateries take twist on tacos

Cantina 76, El Mariachi cover spectrum of specialty, traditional recipes

There’s an art to the perfect taco — expertly sliced, diced and seasoned with just a hint of cilantro or touch of homemade salsa. It sounds silly, but every fan of the Mexican cuisine staple knows it’s true.
From slow-cooked pulled pork to fried shrimp or fresh fish, the city’s finest eateries have thrown their own fine-tuned recipes into the taco game. And The Mix is here with our take on each of Columbia’s simple, and specialty, taco hits.

Cantina 76 ­— 2901 Devine St.

Taqueria and bar Cantina 76 is best known for two things: specialty tacos and unique margarita concoctions. A favorite for birthday dinners and pre-downtown dinners, Cantina 76 strikes a balance between upscale and casual. The Devine Street spot’s list of tacos — which includes fried chicken, chicken pesto and barbeque shrimp — doesn’t get too crazy with outlandish flavors but picks the perfect toppings for an expansive showing of fillers. Tacos are $2.99 each and, in perhaps the Cantina’s only downfall, are only served in soft flour tortillas — there’s no soft or hard corn shells like most of the taqueria’s competitors. But the buck doesn’t stop with their already impressive list of menu all-stars. This week’s features include a Gouda brisket taco with chipotle agave barbeque, smoked Gouda and fried banana peppers, all for the same $2.99. Cantina 76 is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 to 9:30 p.m., Wednesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 to 10 p.m. and Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. It is closed on Sundays.

El Mariachi — 1078 Sunset Blvd.

El Mariachi is the epitome of authentic Mexican flavor. The hole-in-the-wall grocery store and back-of-the-building restaurant serves up four types of tacos: carne asada, chorizo, al pastor (pork) and lengua (beef tongue). And let’s be real, nothing says authenticity quite like a beef tongue taco. The “Fines de Semana” also include a few specialty picks, including pork skin and tripe tacos, ingredients that go back to the authentic, in-house Mexican cuisine. Each of the fresh-made singles, mixed and matched for a full meal, stay around $3 and are even better paired with one of El Mariachi’s famous papusas or tortas. The waitress and cooks speak Spanish and only Spanish, and the corner jukebox blares the best of Aventura, Wisin y Yandel and, with a few confused faces, Adele. It’s an experience. El Mariachi is open daily until 10 p.m.

Casa Linda — 2009 North Beltline Blvd.

Casa Linda has cornered the family market in their pursuit of authentic Mexican fare with bright colors and familiar flavors decorating the now four Casa Linda Columbia locations. The North Beltline stop sits in front of Salsa Cabana, making the perfect bundle of cuisine and dancing, and draws in the masses with their Monday and Tuesday 99-cent tacos. The restaurant — which started as a one-store family business — sticks to the basics and doesn’t disappoint in their simple list of taco selections: beef, chicken and steak. And if tacos aren’t your thing — and you haven’t given up so far on our look at the city’s best tacos — Casa Linda’s full menu borders on overwhelming with lists of a la carte combos, stir-fried shrimp and vegetarian fajitas. Casa Linda is open daily 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

TakoSushi — 1115 Assembly St.

TakoSushi’s Far East and Southwest fusion doesn’t stop with the name — or the trademarked koi fish, chili pepper ying yang. The Assembly Street favorite boasts a menu of “takos” that fall on both sides of their signature pairing of flavors. Tempura fried baha fish and pan-seared tilapia fulfill every craving from the Far East, while lime pork and green chile chicken or beef brisket add a more refined touch to classic Southwest cravings. And although the TakoSushi plates are beyond delicious — and worth every penny — they are the most expensive of the bunch. There’s not an a la carte option for takos; they are only served as a plate with ranch beans and spicy slaw for $15. And, for an extra touch of unique Southwestern flavorful charm, top your dish with a fried egg for just $1. TakoSushi is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday noon to 11 p.m. and Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Qdoba — 2006 Devine St.

Qdoba beats out the competition in the tacos-on-the-go category, achieving the best fast flavor and meal combos. The chain’s tacos follow the lead of its savory burritos, featuring chicken, pulled pork, steak and beef — with your choice of soft flour and crispy corn tortillas. A single Qdoba taco treat rings in just under $2, with a three-taco combo coming in just over $5. And it’s the add-ons and perfectly paired meals that make Qdoba the victor in the on-the-go showdown. The “Craft 2” menu offers two tacos, with your choice of another Qdoba favorite, including tortilla soup, quesadilla or Mexican gumbo, all for $6. Qdoba in Five Points is open 24 hours Friday and Saturday, Monday through Wednesday 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Thursday 7 a.m. to midnight and Sunday midnight to 10 p.m.