Dance Marathon takes Greene Street by storm with flash mob

Group surprises student organization fair

The student organization fair was already crowded on Wednesday — and that's before USC's Dance Marathon team stepped it up a notch with a flash mob.

The group, touted as the largest student-run philanthropy in the state, broke out into a synchronized dance set to the music of Michael Jackson, Cali Swag District and Donna Summer, among others.

"We decided to do a flash mob to get everyone excited for Dance Marathon and catch everyone's eye by showcasing five minutes of our awesomeness," said Ellen Searles, fourth-year exercise science.

Last year the organization raised over $160,000, for an average of $150 for most dancers and $450 for executive dancers.

Dancers gain money from letter writing, emails, company sponsors and promoting Dance Marathon at school events. Students can donate money during events with loose change or even with their CarolinaCards.

But a flash mob was a new opportunity to mix things up and to promote the group's upcoming fundraiser.

"We have always wanted to do a flash mob, and tried but never had enough people or loud music, so it was awesome to see everyone watching," said Chloe Thurston, a fourth-year political science student.

Dance Marathon, which has its next event scheduled for Feb. 24 and 25, is a 24-hour long event without sitting or sleeping held in the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, and it's open to USC students, faculty and staff.

"Having the whole gym filled with everyone, including the kids, and knowing how much money we raised is so cool," Thurston said.