Shoes fit for comfort on campus

Fashionable footwear lends style to daily class walks

Whether you’re a new freshman on campus or a seasoned third-year student that knows all of the university’s ins and outs, there is one feeling many USC students have shared: rolling out of bed 10 minutes before your 8 a.m. class, half-heartedly pulling on your least-dirty pair of pants before choking down two Slim Jims and heading out the door. Unless you’re the extremely rare species of college student known as the “early bird,” chances are the only thing worse than waking up for class is the walk there, with some brisk hauls clocking in at over 15 minutes. But instead of skipping class to save your aching feet, try on a pair of kicks specifically designed for comfort and distance.

If you like: Sandals
Try: Chaco’s
Price Range: $70-$100 (Depending on the vendor)
In Columbia: Half Moon Outfitters, Mast General Store

What originally began as a comfortable, all-purpose sandal for whitewater rafters and kayakers alike has quickly crossed over into everyday wear for almost any individual. Each pair is made with the company’s trademark “LUVSEAT,” which cradles the wearer’s foot in a smooth curve that provides the support and stability needed for long treks or daily use. Chaco sandals also come in a multitude of styles, with a wide range of colors, patterns, strap size and fits to choose from. The sandals even come in a flip-flop version for those who prefer to simply slip on their shoes and go.

If you like: Style
Try: Sanuk Sidewalk Surfers
Price Range: $48-$110
In Columbia: Salty’s Surf Shop, Journeys

Although we can’t all be surfers, spending sunny days bumming around on the local beach in our flip-flops, Sanuk certainly wants our feet to feel that way. Officially labeled “not-a-shoe” by the company, this particular footwear is crafted with a sandal-style sole that conforms to your natural foot movements, and is topped with a fabric upper made from flexible materials like cotton, tweed and canvas. Sanuk offers countless varieties of patterns and colors for both men and women, not to mention several boot and slip-ons designed in the Sidewalk Surfer style. The company has even gone sustainable; several varieties of the shoe are designed with hemp and other organic materials.

If you like: Toning
Try: New Balance True Balance
Price Range: $30-$90
In Columbia: Dick’s Sporting Goods

The New Balance name has always been associated with comfort and stability, and their new line of toning shoes does not fall short of these standards. The True Balance is designed with a distinct “wobble board” technology that allows the wearer to activate certain muscles throughout their workout that other shoes often leave neglected. True Balance also boasts an increase in calorie consumption and muscle toning through the use of instability and a midsole spring system. But perhaps the best thing this toning shoe has going for it is the fact that it doesn’t look like a toning shoe, providing a more subtle experience for the consumer.  

If you Like: Giving Back
Try: TOMS Shoes
Price Range: $44-$140
In Columbia: Salty’s Surf Shop, Half Moon Outifitters

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past six years, you’ve heard the TOMS story. The company matches each pair of shoes purchased with another pair, given to children in need across the world from Argentina to South Africa. So far, TOMS has donated thousands of pairs of shoes, and have expanded their business into accessory and apparel markets. Using a simple design, TOMS shoes are wearable with anything from jeans to dresses, and come available in all styles from the classic canvas to the higher-priced cashmere and Italian wool options. For a little extra flash, TOMS even comes in glitter styles as well as pieces designed by famous artists. And yes, there’s even a TOMS wedding collection to outfit your entire bridal party.