Simpson's Cinema: Oscars

Academy Award nominations surprise in best picture, actor

Whoever said the Golden Globes are great predictors for the Academy Awards clearly needs to take a glance at this year’s nominations — it’s the most bizarre Oscar race we’ve had in a while.

Not only are there some major surprises in some categories, but for the first time, we have a total of nine films nominated in the Best Picture category. And that’s not even one of the bigger surprises.

Here’s a quick rundown on some of the categories:

1. Best Picture

Best Picture: “The Artist,” “The Descendants,” “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” “The Help,” “Hugo,” “Midnight in Paris,” “Moneyball,” “The Tree of Life,” “War Horse”

Like last year’s competition between “The Social Network” and “The King’s Speech,” this will come down to a two-horse race between “Hugo” and “The Artist,” both films with the highest number of nominations (“Hugo” with 11, “The Artist” with 10). The only other film that can possibly challenge “Hugo” and “The Artist” is “The Descendants.”

Though they don’t have an equal chance of winning, it’s nice to see films in the category, with the exception of “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,” that are receiving the attention that they deserve. This is especially the case with “The Tree of Life.”

As for the snubbed films, “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” definitely sits on top of the list. “Drive” and “Shame” are also up there. They deserve it more than “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.”

On that note, why are there nine nominees? Would it have hurt to give one more film some love? Also, I know there are people who would say that the final “Harry Potter” film was robbed of a nomination, but let’s get real for a moment people.  If the Academy didn’t pay any attention to the previous films, they certainty won’t do this one any favors.

2. Best Director

Nominees: Woody Allen “Midnight in Paris,” Terrence Malick” Tree of Life,” Michel Hazanavicius “The Artist,” Alexander Payne “The Descendents,” Martin Scorsese “Hugo”

The only first-timer here is Hazanavicius. Both Malick and Payne are nominated for the second time, while Allen and Scorsese have been nominated six previous times. This is probably the most exciting category because it’s the only major category this year where all of the nominees have an equal chance of winning. However, you can’t help but feel sorry for David Fincher, especially after what happened last year.

3. Best Actor

Nominees: Demián Bichir “A Better Life,” George Clooney “The Descendants,” Jean Dujardin “The Artist,” Gary Oldman “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” Brad Pitt “Moneyball”

Before I get into who will most likely triumph, let me start by saying how shocked I am that an actor from a movie that has been all but ignored gets nominated (I am referring to Demián Bichir). Bichir has taken the spot that most predicted Michael Fassbender or Ryan Gosling would take. But Bichir, as well as Gary Oldman, are definitely the long shots compared to who they are up against. Brad Pitt and George Clooney are the high competitors for this award, with Jean Dujardin probably not too far behind.

4. Best Actress

Nominees: Glenn Close “Albert Nobbs,” Michelle Williams “My Week with Marilyn,” Meryl Streep “The Iron Lady,” Rooney Mara “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” Viola Davis “The Help”

Top favorites in this category include Viola Davis for “The Help” and Rooney Mara for “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” Mara’s nomination in this category makes up for Fincher’s absence in the Best Picture category and the film receiving a cold shoulder for a Best Picture spot. However, both Mara’s and Davis’s chances of winning are similar to trying to catch a Hail Mary pass while guarded by the world’s largest safety. They’re both up against Meryl Streep, this generation’s “first lady of cinema” and who the Academy loves.

5. Best Animated Feature

Nominees: “A Cat in Paris,” “Chico & Rita,” “Kung Fu Panda 2,” “Puss in Boots,” “Rango”

I’m guessing that the Academy doesn’t consider “The Adventures of Tintin” animation, maybe because it was partially produced using motion-capture technology. But it’s extremely peculiar how the Academy nominated two foreign animated films that weren’t screened here in America, not even in New York. This is also the first time that a Pixar film gets released and wasn’t nominated. But the Pixar film was “Cars 2,” so it’s not a complete surprise.

6. Best Original Song

Nominees: “Man or Muppet” from “The Muppets,” “Real in Rio” from “Rio”

Of the categories this year, this is definitely the most shocking and bizarre. This category has hit a record-low with only two songs nominated, leaving some Golden Globe nominees (Elton John and Madonna included) livid. Who will win? I don’t care. This also means that there’ll be less musical numbers, making for a shorter awards show.