USC Integrity Line offers anonymity for violation reports

Whistle-blower website supplies 24-hour service for employees

USC implemented a new “whistle-blower” website last month to help university employees more efficiently report internal violations of the law, university policies and state ethics guidelines, according to Chris Byrd, vice president of human resources.

The site, titled the USC Integrity Line, provides an online form where faculty and staff can report incidents anonymously, if they choose. The Integrity Line (sc.edu/uscintegrityline) is available “any time of the day or night” and is a “confidential website to discuss your concerns about questionable or unethical behavior.”

While South Carolina has a law protecting government employees who report sexual harassment, including USC faculty and staff, this policy is a move by USC to “formalize the existing process,” Byrd said. He added that the intention is also to make sure employees understand those protections.

“The new policy makes it more accessible to employees with any concerns,” Chief Financial Officer Ed Walton said. “It lets people know we’re accessible, whereas before, there was nothing that really showed an avenue to address concerns.”

The USC Integrity Line encourages employees to talk to their supervisors first. Byrd said if this step is not an option, then they should report their concerns to other staff members who have authority, such as department heads, deans or other appropriate members of the USC administration. If an employee cannot report the incident to an authority figure, then he or she can do so through the site.

Before the new system was implemented, Walton said employees “would have taken any issues straight to the internal auditor instead of their direct supervisors.”

When filed, reports will be submitted to Byrd and Walton as well as Director of Internal Audit Phil Iapalucci and the university’s General Counsel.

Byrd is confident in the benefits of the new system.

“This system provides a secure place for an employee to report a serious workplace concern, should one ever arise,” Byrd said. “It will also enable university administration to quickly review any reported concerns.”