'How to Look Like Ryan Gosling'

Thompson's video has gone viral since it hit the Web Monday.

Dinobrite cofounder's comedy video goes viral

Joey Thompson, a USC alum and cofounder of the locally renowned comedy group DinoBrite, had been having a somewhat difficult time in the dating scene.

Then he made his latest video and everything changed.

It started off as a side project, but when Thompson posted his “How to Look Like Ryan Gosling” video on YouTube, it took off like none of his other videos had before — to the tune of more than 30,000 hits in three days.

“It was like a movie,” Thompson said. “It was like a Ryan Gosling movie where I was the main character.”

The video starts with Thompson recounting stories of being told he looks like “The Notebook” actor, first when he was in high school and more recently at a gas station this summer. He then takes viewers through the steps to looking like Ryan Gosling — getting a new wardrobe, perfecting the smile, squaring your jaw and well, not saying a lot.

Thompson posted his video to the Web Monday night. By Thursday, it had been picked up by a Gosling fan site called RyansArmy, and subsequently, the Huffington Post, MSNBC and the International Business News, among dozens of other online blogs. Then American Idol host Ryan Seacrest and singer Hayley Williams of the band Paramore posted it, and late Thursday night it was featured on Perez TV.

“I’m a little overwhelmed,” Thompson said. “My Twitter went from like 70 followers to more than 300. I get an email about every 3 minutes and a new Twitter follower every 30 seconds.”

He said he’d been contacted by the Today show asking permission rights to feature the video, and he’s hoping he’ll be asked to make an appearance on the show.

But Thompson’s sights are set higher: He, and thousands of his and Gosling’s fans, are campaigning to get Thompson on the Ellen DeGeneres show alongside the real Ryan Gosling.

He credited his friend, former Garnet & Black editor-in-chief Malia Griggs whom he met through Student Media, for helping him promote the video. They’re encouraging people to tweet with the hashtag #JoeyOnEllen at the TV show’s account, @TheEllenShow.

“Ryan Gosling has this uniquely insane fan base,” Griggs said. “I knew, especially right around Valentine’s Day, people would love it.”

Griggs said she hopes the success continues for Thompson.

“It’s been insane. It’s a great thing for Joey,” Griggs said. “He’s really talented, really creative. It’s been a long time coming.”

How would he react though, given the chance to talk to Gosling on national TV?

“I’d mean-mug him. I would straight up stare him down,” Thompson said. “I would have a ‘sexy-off,’ is what I’m telling you what I’d do.”

In all seriousness, Thompson said he’d like to spend a day with Gosling.

“I’d like to hang out with him for a day,” Thompson said. “Ideally I’d love to get him to make a ‘How to Look Like Joey Thompson.’ I’d make him do stand up or something.”

He said he’s enjoyed the chance to promote himself and his DinoBrite brand, and hopes it ends up bringing the spotlight back to the duo.

“With everything I do, I hope it comes back to DinoBrite in a positive way,” Thompson said. “The goal of my life is to produce a movie or TV show with (DinoBrite cofounder) Fabio (Frey).”

Griggs is confident Thompson has big things ahead of him.

“Joey definitely has a big personality. He’s very charismatic,” Griggs said. “Hopefully this builds momentum and it will be a good thing for his future.”