Sideways Derby projects passion, patience into music

Myrtle Beach band is 'in it for the long haul'

It seems that all too often, budding musicians are lured into the industry with the promise of overnight success and fame that comes more easily than a fly to honey. The truth is, not all musicians can be on YouTube one minute and then jetting off to sit at a fashion show with Usher the next (a la Justin Bieber).

Molding music takes just the right combination of passion and commitment, and, of course, patience is key. One man who says he’s definitely in it for the long haul despite any bumps on the road ahead is Joshua Grant of eclectic rock group Sideways Derby.

“I would say the most difficult thing are the sacrifices I’ve had to make financially, personally and mentally,” Grant said. “It’s a very, very hard profession to become really successful at.”

Grant has been active in the music scene for more than a decade now, although he says his first exposure to the culture occurred at an odd time — his birth.

Born as the third generation in a family of musicians, the Columbia native has fronted various versions of Sideways Derby before settling on the band’s current lineup: guitarist Brian McKenzie, bass player Jeremy Dunham and drummer Mark Holt. The band has been touring up and down Carolina’s coastline, making stops in Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island and Myrtle Beach. Sideways Derby is even slated for an upcoming April 20 show at the Rolling Stone Bar in Columbia. In addition, Grant says the band will open for alt-rockers Blue October at the House of Blues in North Myrtle Beach on March 31.

Much like the musicians themselves, Grant characterizes the Sideways Derby sound as overflowing with passion and high energy. But talking about the band’s style is much different than hearing it for yourself. Sideways Derby’s genre can be easily categorized as rock ’n’ roll; there are strong tones of deep, soulful songwriting coupled with distinctly acoustic-driven melodies. Rather than words simply slapped on a page, each lyric is crafted with emotional appeal and intelligence. The chord progressions are intentionally strong, and Grant’s rustic voice blends harmoniously without overpowering the instrumentalists. Shifting from everlasting jams to mellowed-out rock, the band has clearly found its niche in songwriting.

Where the songs come from, though, is anyone’s game. Grant says his lyrical roots grow deep into the well of life itself, and if you live life as a songwriter, all of the songs you need are right in front of you.

“Every day I wake up it’s an inspiration musically in some type of way,” Grant said. “The old man you see sitting in front of the barber shop, the woman with the sad eyes in line at the DMV — all those things inspire me.”

Grant said given the time, he could write a song a day. But for now, he’s content with the little melodies in his head or the miniscule guitar riffs that eventually transform into full-fledged tracks. Building upon personal experiences during the day, Grant says he often heads to the studio at sundown to lay down a quick cut that he will soon present to the rest of Sideways Derby. Although many of the industry’s up-and-coming rock acts are on the younger end of the spectrum, Grant said his age and experience has actually worked to his advantage.

“Actually living long enough to write songs that I’ve truly lived through sets me apart from other artists,” said Grant, who adds that he views the future of music as having plenty of life left in it. “The world has always had music and always will. It’s the universal language.”

The members of Sideways Derby welcomes all types of music lovers to their party, and Grant hopes to continue expanding a fan base in the years to come. The evolution of downloadable MP3 tracks, Grant said, has been revolutionary for the music industry, allowing independent musicians to promote themselves much more easily than in the past. The industry still has a long way to go; however, Grant insists it’s “coming back around.”

“It has completely changed as far as the business end of it,” Grant said. “So it has taken some time to kind of work itself out and reinvent itself.”

When asked about his future in music culture, Grant says his music will carry him until his final days, as it already has done much of his life.

“I can’t ever see putting it down, so I think I received a life sentence with no possibility of parole,” Grant said.

As for his words to struggling musicians still on the search for that one big break, Grant stresses settling in for the long haul and riding out the storm in order to reach the ultimate goal.

“Practice hard, and never give up on your dreams,” Grant said. “If you stop dreaming, you stop living.”