Sweet Bites: Cupcake

The Vista’s Cupcake bakes individual, novelty treats

When it comes to sweets, one Columbia bakery leaves out all the guesswork.

Cupcake keeps it simple, in both its name and menu: cupcakes.

The location in the Vista is the newest of three Cupcakes in South Carolina, the others being in Mount Pleasant and downtown Charleston.

And since Columbia’s Cupcake opened, the shop has taken over as a go-to for every sweet tooth in the city. It’s the perfect place for a post-work pick-me-up, date night or birthday surprise.

Alexa Stallings, who has worked at Cupcake since May, says the sweet shop’s success is partly due to the idea of a bakery that specializes in cupcakes — something new to South Carolina.

“I think it’s the novelty of it,” Stallings said. “It’s individual size, so you can come here for dessert instead of buying a whole cake.”

Stallings said the idea was conceived when owner Kristin Cobb went to a cupcake bakery in New York City. Cobb came back to Charleston and in 2006, the first Cupcake opened its doors downtown in the posh waterfront town.

Some of the recipes were handed-down family recipes, while others Cobb tweaked until something new and delicious was created.

The Vista favorite bakes nine flavors of cupcakes fresh each day, with five flavors being consistent day-to-day and the other four a sorted daily dose of Cupcake’s more than 45 flavors.

Stallings said red velvet is definitely the most popular flavor, and is one of the five flavors available every day, along with other basic flavors like chocolate and vanilla.

“We have four [flavors] that change with the season of the year and also with the day of the week,” Stallings said.

These specialty flavors range from simple flavors — such as almond and coconut — to more complex flavors, including the double chocolate banana and strawberry cheesecake flavors. But these cupcakes are much different than the 12-to-a-pack Publix variety.

Cupcake has taken the tasted and true treat and elevated it to a new level entirely, turning the simple dessert into a work of art — with sprinkles on top, of course.

The quality of these cupcakes is consistent, as the cupcakes are baked fresh daily. And it’s safe to say every cupcake lover in Columbia has one question at the end of the day: What happens to leftover cupcakes?

Cupcake has set up a service in which it donates these day-old cupcakes to local children’s homes, charities and other nonprofit organizations, including the Ronald McDonald House and Trident United Way. Organizations can request a donation by going to Cupcake’s website, www.freshcupcake.com.

The cupcakes are available in more than just the traditional size and serving. The bakery sells cupcakes and minicupcakes by the dozen. The minicupcakes are available in vanilla, chocolate and red velvet.

Cupcake also sells megacupcakes, which are half a foot wide and feed six to eight people, and hosts and caters parties, weddings and other events.

With a fresh-baked cupcakes and daily assorted flavors, Cupcake is a great place to go for some sweet bites.

Cupcake is located in the Vista at 1213 Lincoln St. The store is open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; and 12 p.m. to 5 Sunday.