The Mix Tape: City's featured art galleries

Columbia’s five creative spots feature local, international works

if ART Gallery

Located just a few doors down from the Vista Starbucks, if ART Gallery is a cozy space that houses art made by South Carolinians, as well as artists from around the country and Europe. if ART Gallery’s latest show, “Contemporary Carolina Abstraction I,” opens Friday, Feb. 17 with a reception from 5 to 9 p.m. The show will feature work by Carl Blair, Ashlynn Browning, Laura Spong, Katie Walker and Don Zurlo. The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.

701 CCA

While 701 Center for Contemporary Art has made a name for itself by hosting some of the most wild and memorable parties in Columbia, the venue is also a cultural hot spot when it comes to visual art. The gallery’s current exhibition, “Faster Forward,” features work of nine artists from around the world, including Sean Hovendick and Bill Domonkos. The pieces all incorporate multimedia. In late April, 701 CCA will hold Columbia Open Studios, an opportunity for Midlands residents to look inside local artists’ studios and observe them while they work. The gallery is open Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.

City Art Gallery

Located in a former railroad warehouse, City Art Gallery also calls the Vista home. The gallery features a full-service framing department and a fine arts supply store (located in the building’s basement) in addition to its three galleries. The main exhibition gallery hosts solo and group exhibitions, while the second-level gallery displays work produced by the gallery’s represented artists. Between 30 and 60 artists have their work on display there throughout the year. City Art also has a small-works gallery where less traditional pieces like pottery, jewelry and decorative art are on display. The gallery is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Nonnah's

Located in the bustling restaurant row of the Vista, Nonnah’s is one of the few places in town where you can buy a slice of cheesecake and a piece of artwork at the same time. Unlike most galleries in Columbia, restaurant seating is placed throughout the gallery, and customers are encouraged to enjoy their meals while perusing the work. Nonnah’s gallery is open during the restaurant’s regular business hours. Nonnah’s is open for lunch Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and for dinner Monday through Thursday from 5 to 11 p.m., Friday from 5 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and Saturday from 6 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Columbia Museum of Art

The galleries at the Columbia Museum of Art are probably the largest in the city and display a variety of work. Past exhibits range from rock ’n’ roll photography to ancient tapestries. In addition to its permanent collection and traveling shows, the museum showcases youth artwork by students from the Midlands. The Art School at the Columbia Museum of Art offers a variety of classes for children and adults, and the venue is used for the museum’s Arts & Draughts series, the Wadsworth Chamber Series and a host of other events. The museum is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.