Tracy claims presidency in SG elections

Gibson wins treasurer race, concluding contests

Kenny Tracy was elected student body president Wednesday night, edging out opponent and current Student Body Vice President Emily Saleeby with 52.58 percent of the vote.

Minutes before, Coy Gibson was elected student body treasurer with 54.11 percent of the vote. Gibson defeated opponent Yousef Ibreak in a surprise runoff caused by a sole write-in vote cast in the neck and neck general treasurer election last week.

The highly contested election brought about 80 more votes to the treasurer race, according to posted election results, another first, since turnout generally drops in runoff contests.

The race for the presidency saw its share of controversy as well, as multiple allegations of violations were brought against Tracy's campaign and were subsequently dropped. Among them: offering cabinet positions to potential supporters, using a university-owned table on Greene Street and campaigning during a karaoke rendition of Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" at a Carolina After Dark event.

But that was all forgotten Wednesday; Tracy characterized his feelings after the win as "pure joy."

"I didn't know what to think," Tracy said. "It was just a wild ride. I'm proud of all my supporters and what they were able to do for me. Now the real work begins."

Surrounded by friends, family and campaign supporters, Tracy beamed and pumped his fists after the announcement and immediately detached himself from the crowd to congratulate Saleeby on a good race. He never caught up with her, however, as Saleeby made a hasty exit from the Russell House moments after the election was called.

When contacted later over the phone, Saleeby said she had taken the opportunity to collect her thoughts and emotions.

"I'm extremely proud of Kenny. I know he'll do a great job," she said. "He's a very smart, intelligent, well-rounded guy. I think he'll make a large difference at this university."

Saleeby said she hopes to serve on Tracy's cabinet next year but is focusing on enjoying her last weeks as vice president.

A tearful Gibson said he was thankful for the dedication of his campaign members and supporters and for everyone who voted for him.

"It's just utter gratitude," Gibson said. "Gratitude to everyone who put in the hours and helped with the campaign and everyone who voted in the runoff. I'm on cloud nine right now."

Ibreak, an unusual first-year executive candidate, cast himself as the underdog and said he was impressed with the sheer voter turnout on his behalf.

"I love my supporters," Ibreak said. "We had a great showing, and we definitely put our presence out there."

Vice President-elect Chase Mizzell, who won his general race by all but one vote last week, said he was looking forward to being a part of the new administration.

"I'm excited to get to work," Mizzell said. "We've got a lot of awesome things planned in the next year. We have a lot to prove and the passion to do it."
In Saleeby's absence after the results were posted, Austin Jackson, president pro tempore of the senate and an avid Saleeby supporter, spoke to the spirit of her campaign.

"We fought the good fight," Jackson said. "I do not regret backing a candidate I believe in ... Now that Kenny Tracy is the president-elect, it is my hope he will reach out to both Emily Saleeby and John Cuenin supporters alike and unify us in something we all believe in — a better Carolina."

As minutes ticked on, and the last hugs and handshakes were doled out, campaign supporters trickled out. The election — violations, surprise write-in votes and all — had finally come to an end.

Perhaps to congratulate their candidate, a group of Tracy supporters lingered, and, as the second-floor lobby emptied out, they began singing in celebration.
But maybe it was just their salute to the end of all the mayhem — and the allegations.

They were, after all, singing "Livin' on a Prayer."