Valentine's Day Do's & Don'ts

Four easy steps ensure fool-proof dates on Cupid’s holiday

Ah, Valentine’s Day. Feb. 14 may be the one day of the year where it’s acceptable to buy a $15 heart-shaped box of chocolates and a giant stuffed teddy bear — for yourself. Of course, those of you with significant others will take local restaurants, parks and movie theaters by storm, provided of course you remembered to make reservations. But whether you’re taken or flying solo this Valentine’s day, there are a few important do’s and don’ts that will help avoid any heartbreaking tragedies.

DO Keep Your Date in Mind

There is nothing worse than spending hours waxing, conditioning and dressing for a special night out, only to find that your boyfriend has planned a romantic evening at the closest pro-wrestling match where massive men with severe “mommy issues” fling their bodies (and their sweat) all over themselves and you. Of course, this street runs both ways. No matter how many times you try convincing your date that Channing Tatum blew stuff up in “G.I. Joe,” not every guy has been counting down the days to when you could see “The Vow” together. When making your Valentine’s arrangements, try to keep both your interests in mind — if your companion is allergic to shellfish, opt out of endless shrimp at Red Lobster and don’t take someone who’s afraid of monkeys to the zoo. This will ensure your evening is fun and memorable — for all the right reasons.

DON'T Spend outside your means

Just because Valentine’s Day comes only one day a year, it doesn’t mean that you have to penny-pinch the other 364. Valentine’s day is about spending time, not money. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with doling out a few extra dollars. After all, everyone enjoys getting presents. But don’t feel like you have to empty your wallet to show your partner how you truly feel. Not every gift has to come in a little blue box and not every dinner has to come with a $100 price tag. In fact, there are a variety of retailers and businesses that cater specifically to moderate pricing. Even Waffle House offers a candlelight dinner for two. And if you’re culinarily-inclined, it never hurts to whip up a homemade meal. Just don’t get too caught up in each other’s eyes before the oven timer goes off.

DO Exercise your creative side

Every year on Valentine’s Day, somewhere on this planet, there is a massive hole in the ground where millions of roses used to grow. Yes, roses are pretty, but unless you’re planning on making potpourri when they die, it may be time to switch things up. Proflowers.com and FTD flowers offer hundreds of blossoming arrangements with creative twists of daisies, ivy and violets that come in a variety of eye-catching colors. Keep this in mind when planning the day’s events Instead of the traditional (and predictable) dinner and movie, try out a new Valentine’s Day experience. The Mad Platter studio is hosting a “Paint by Candlelight” event for couples this year, offering free painting all day with purchased pottery. If you have the day open, map out a road trip to somewhere you’ve never been before, like the kitschy South of the Border, off Interstate 95, or artsy Asheville, N.C. When it comes to the day’s snacks, keep chocolate on the menu. Some traditions just don’t need to be messed with.

DON'T Put too much pressure on Valentine's Day

Too often, we put so much into planning the special day that we end up making things worse: setting off the smoke alarm with too many “mood-setting” candles, getting salmonella from an under-cooked chicken kabob or developing an extremely itchy rash from scented bath salts. Bottom line: Valentine’s is just another day on the calendar, so don’t turn it into a make-or-break marathon for your relationship. Chances are your significant other is not going to end it if you burn dinner or catch a cold the day before your outing. This is especially true if you’ve only been dating a few weeks and V-Day is the last hurdle before venturing into “serious” relationship territory. There’s only one mistake you can make under these circumstances: taking them to meet your parents. There is nothing more terrifying than shaking hands with your possible future in-laws when you don’t even know the name of your girlfriend’s cat. Try to keep things romantic, but don’t get into a tailspin over making things perfect. Even if you’re single, get together with other single friends instead of plunking down on the couch with a tub of Cherry Garcia and Lifetime for eight hours straight. It may be a day for couples, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend it alone.