Despite setbacks, Discover Islam Week prevails

Muslim Student Association hosts successful events

Before the week's start, the Muslim Student Association's banner promoting Discover Islam Week had been stolen and their chalk writings across campus had been washed off within a day. Both incidents have been reported to the USC Department of Law Enforcement and Safety.

"We were told that it doesn't matter that the chalk got washed off because it isn't allowed anyway," Muslim Student Association President Firas Freajah said. "It's frustrating because we've seen some chalk writing stay for weeks without getting washed off, even though all chalking isn't technically allowed. It seems like they let other groups slide."

The banner has yet to be recovered, and Freajah has not received any additional word from the USC Department of Law Enforcement and Safety.

Despite these setbacks, Discover Islam Week has already seen success in raising awareness about Islam in the non-Muslim community.

"After our event on Monday, some people who attended came with us to dinner at Al-Amir, and it was really more informative than anything," said Freajah, a third-year international business student.

A significant amount of those in attendance at Tuesday night's event, "Jesus in Islam," were members of the non-Muslim community as well. Sheikh Muhammad Adly of the Islamic Center of Columbia delivered a short lecture about the role and perception of Jesus in Islam.

"We want to talk about Jesus; he's a great personality, and he's a personality viewed by three different groups with three different views," Adly said.
Adly explained that in the Muslim world Jesus is not the son of God but a "Messenger of Allah," while noting Jesus's significance in Islam.

"The miracles of Jesus were something totally different than anything that had happened before," Adly said.

This lecture, like the other Discover Islam events, was meant to be informative for those with little knowledge of Islam.

"This is an event that is important to us because it is informative and it represents much of our relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims throughout the United States," Freajah said.

The Muslim Student Association will host events tonight and Thursday night to close Discover Islam Week. "Islam Gave Women Rights," a lecture on women's position in Islam, will take place tonight at 6:45 in the Honors Residence Hall, room B110. A short play depicting the history of Islam, "Journey Through Time," will be performed on the Russell House patio at 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, with an included dinner starting at 5:30 p.m.