Female cadet: 'We have the same expectations to live up to'

Two cadets discuss ROTC duties, futures in armed forces

Despite a long-standing association with men and military roles, women are anything but new to the armed forces.

They've served the United States both on and off the battlefield since 1775, originally as nurses, cooks and launderers, performing tasks that weren't assigned to uniformed personnel until the 20th century. But as women's rights have expanded in the past century, so has their role in the military. Gone are the days when women disguised themselves as men in order to enlist as soldiers. Now, they proudly walk the streets in uniform, serving alongside men.

Students might see some of these women walking USC's campus. Female cadets make up about 26 percent of the Army ROTC at USC, and seven of these women will commission as full-fledged officers this year.

While each has her own reason for joining the Army, all of these servicewomen express the same desire to answer to "the call." It's a call that fourth-year interdisciplinary studies student and cadet Capt. Zipporah Torchon, who comes from a military family, never expected until after she graduated high school.

"My dad was in the Navy, my oldest sister is in the Air Force, my brother was in the Army and my youngest sister was in the Marine Corps," Torchon said.
"Growing up, I always said I wasn't going to join the military, but I changed my mind at the last minute. People say some leaders are born and some are developed, so I guess I'm both the born and developed leader."

For Torchon's comrade, fourth-year criminal justice student and cadet Amanda Kenny, the Army had always seemed the right path to better herself and serve others. Since joining ROTC, she has found that path isn't always easy. For Kenny and Torchon, it has meant getting up at 5 a.m. for physical training three days a week, undergoing intense scrutiny and sometimes waiting rain-drenched on the side of the road after a long day of field drills. Though the demands are high, both agree they are necessary preparation for military life.

"It's definitely not for everyone because of the amount of discipline," Kenny said. "We're not a military institute, so our lives here aren't completely centered on ROTC, but it's still a big part of our lives that we have to dedicate."

That dedication is expected of all members — both male and female. While certain branches of the military remain exclusively male, Kenny says those restrictions are generally understood and that opportunities for women are equal across the board.

"I don't feel different or belittled being a female," Kenny said. "I think we fit in just as much as everyone else. Everyone looks after each other. We get the same level of respect, we have the same expectations to live up to, we have leadership positions we're put into and we're expected to do our job."

That expectation and respect come from civilians as well. When in uniform, Torchon has had restaurant tabs picked up for her, simply out of gratitude.

"People respect us; they know we're here to protect them and protect our country," Torchon said.

Being recognized, however, is not what draws these women to the Army. From interschool field drills at Fort Jackson to leadership training in Washington D.C., values-based relationships are formed between servicewomen stronger than even the oldest sororities in Greek Village.

"The camaraderie is something you can't find anywhere else," Kenny said. "You serve with someone, you just feel an immediate connection."

After graduation, the fourth-year commissioning students will move into their respective branches. Kenny will consider choosing a civilian career as a member of the National Guard, while Torchon is looking forward to transitioning into military intelligence as a full-time captain. Before venturing their separate ways, however, these two have one last memory to make — their last run of PT at Fort Jackson.

"We'll come to the fountain, and if you're about to commission, they'll pick someone to push you in. It's become a tradition at USC," Torchon said. "I'm looking forward to that day. Hopefully I get to push Kenny in."