Obama poorly handles crises in Afghanistan

Tension could cost president re-election

With the general election rapidly approaching, President Barack Obama will have to answer some pretty tough questions to protect his incumbency. The issue that could prove most detrimental to Obama’s re-election is also the most recent — the United States’ decade-old war in Afghanistan, which is now spiraling out of control.

StephenBarryWebPresident Hamid Karzai demanded Thursday that troops be confined to major military bases by next year after the Taliban suspended peace talks with the U.S. This week in Afghanistan has been one of the worst for U.S. forces, after the massacre of 16 Afghan citizens in Kandahar by an American soldier. Given the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, serious doubts are being cast on Obama’s effectiveness as a diplomatic and military leader.

The Kandahar massacre has hurt America’s international image. Around the world, our country does not appear to be the shining star we think it is. Around the world, our country appears to be an arrogant, violent and self-righteous nation.

As Americans, it’s hard to give up on something. Yet there are just some things we cannot control. When we do try to control them, it creates a nastier situation.

The only way Obama can win the re-election is to convince Americans that he is the peace candidate, which will be a truly daunting task. I think this would be a pretty good time to earn that Nobel Peace Prize, Mr. President.