'Part of something historical'

New African-American Presence Wall unveieled Wednesday

A piece of African-American history was unveiled on Wednesday outside of the Russell House Ballroom.

Students, faculty and alumni gathered to witness the presentation of the updated African-American Presence Wall as a celebration of the last day of Black History Month.

Rodrick Moore, director of Multicultural Student Affairs, was in charge of remodeling the wall, which was originally donated in 2000 in honor of the bicentennial celebration by the DeQuincey Newman Institute for Peace and Social Justice. Due to peeling pictures, Moore formed a committee of students, faculty and staff to create a new wall sponsored by the Department of Student Life.

"It was time for it to be done," Moore said. "We had a few students that protested the need to update the wall and a few people came and said that it needed to be repaired."

The remodeled wall features eight panels and highlights the contributions that African-Americans have made at USC through different eras, beginning in 1801 and continuing to the present day. The panels included historic parts of the university from the Civil War, Reconstruction, segregation and athletics.

"I think it's a good cause. It's about time that we recognize African-Americans that have attended USC," said Christian Quattlebaum, a fourth-year retailing student.

As the wall itself displays little information, Moore also revealed a Web page that features additional insight into the many African-American contributions towards the university. That information can be found on the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs website at sa.sc.edu/omsa/african-american-presence-at-usc/.

Kenneth Rhodes, a first-year pre-pharmacy student, was in attendance to support the Minority Assistance Peer Program and found the event monumental in the university's history.

"I just feel like I'm being a part of something historical," Rhodes said. "It feels good."

Moore said the wall serves to recognize Black History Month now, but he expects it to serve as a monument on campus for years to come.

"What better way to close out the month than with the unveiling of the newly created African-American Presence Wall," Moore said. "It brings a great closure to Black History Month. We hope that current students, alumni and all will come by the wall to check it out when they're on campus."