Student Health Services hosts suicide prevention training

Program teaches trainees how to recognize potential warning signs

Student Health Services hosted suicide prevention training in order to inform faculty, staff and graduate students about the ways to recognize suicidal signs and what to do about them.

Jennifer Myers, coordinator of Suicide Prevention Services, explained the need for training sessions.

“Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students,” she said. “Therapists depend on concerned students, faculty and staff to let them know about people who show signs of suicide and other mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety.”

Myers further explained the goal of these sessions.

“They are to educate about the signs of suicide,” she said. “They are also to inform you how to respond to them, to empower you to feel confident to intervene and to connect with your resources.”

Rosalia Tatano, a mathematics doctorate student, explained why she thinks the sessions are important.

“Suicide is an important topic,” Tatano said. “I’ve never heard about it in this way. I learned how to prevent suicide and to do something for them.”

During the session, Myers discredited the common misconceptions about suicide.

“A common myth is that no one can stop a suicide,” Myers said. “But if people in crises get the help they need, they will probably never be suicidal again.”

Myers also talked about the signs of depression, anxiety and suicide. She explained the acute warning signs that need immediate attention, including signs of a person threatening, talking about or looking for ways to hurt or kill himself or herself, which is why it is important to learn the signs.

“Most people who kill themselves on college campuses are not identified by the counseling center,” she said. “Most people who are thinking about killing themselves give signs to friends or other adults, and it’s important for them recognize the signs and to know when to intervene.”

Alison Connington, a clinical psychology graduate student, explained what she gained from the session.

“I think for people who don’t get a psychological education, it is important to realize that they can still help without professional training,” she said.

Tatano feels she is now better able to deal with talking to someone about suicide.

“I can talk more freely about this with someone who is close to me,” Tatano said.

Connington gave insight on what she believes is the biggest challenge associated with talking to someone about suicide.

“It’s a sensitive and private matter,” she said. “It’s hard for both you and the person you are talking to, but if they’re giving you signs, then they want help.”

Myers talked about information regarding how the university can help students or faculty who are considering suicide.

“The university provides crisis counseling services,” she said. “You can come in for an individual or group therapy session. Suicide is preventable.”