USC offers top-ranked graduate programs

Career Center helps students in decision-making process

For some USC students, a four-year undergraduate degree is not the last stop on the academic road. Many USC students decide to attend graduate school sometime after graduation, and USC offers graduate school programs along with tools to help guide students into the right direction when deciding what graduate school to pick.

In a survey conducted of graduates in May 2011, roughly 21 percent of USC students were admitted to graduate or professional schools. The USC Career Center reports that most USC students decide to go to graduate school at USC, but other popular schools include Charlotte School of Law, Charleston School of Law, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of Virginia.

The Moore School of Business was ranked No. 2 overall for its graduate international business program in a report published in March of 2011, and has been ranked for 22 consecutive years with a top-three overall ranking for the graduate program, according to U.S. News and World Report. USC’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is ranked in the top 20 nationally for the number of doctoral graduates it produces annually, according to the National Science Foundation.

The National Research Council reported that 14 USC doctoral school programs ranked in the top 50 nationally. Some of these programs include biomedical sciences, electrical engineering, geography, nursing and pharmacy.

With so many graduate school programs to choose from, students should begin preparing as soon as possible.

“Experience is a critical piece of the decision making process,” said Thomas Halasz, director of the USC Career Center.

Halasz stressed that time should be spent collecting teacher recommendations and insight, along with determining what financial resources will be used in order to pay for graduate school.

“The best ‘prep’ for students that decide to attend graduate school is to determine how their graduate school experience will contribute to their goals,” Halasz said. “[It’s a] critical piece of the decision-making process.”

The Career Center reported that during the fall semester, 357 students came to the Career Center for assistance with graduate school planning.

“In addition, the Career Center, the Office of Pre-Professional Advising, the Graduate School and Testing Services all provide services to assist students going to graduate school,” Halasz said.

The Career Center will hold a Graduate and Professional School Fair on Tuesday, April 3 in the Russell House Lobby.