Board of publications selects new leaders

Daily Gamecock, G&B, WUSC, SGTV announce next editors, managers

USC’s Board of publications announced the selection of new leaders for its four student media outlets after a series of interviews Monday.

Second-year print journalism student Sydney Patterson, a native of Lancaster, S.C., will serve as summer editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock. Patterson is currently the copy desk chief for the university’s student newspaper. The Daily Gamecock prints once a week from June to August, in addition to maintaining content online.

“Going to publishing weekly, it will be important to follow through with the day-to-day news and gather a staff that will do good work,” Patterson said. “Our online version will be an important way to reach out to students and faculty who are interested in the university but not on campus.”

Third-year print journalism student Colin Campbell was reappointed in his position as editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock in the fall. Campbell, a native of Catonsville, Md., has worked for the paper for six semesters.

“I’m happy with the product we’ve been able to provide this semester,” Campbell said. “From our South Carolina Republican primary packages, to our crime and university coverage, I’ve been impressed with the work of the staff as a whole. Our sports, design and photography sections in particular have stepped up incredibly. We put out a well-rounded paper and it shows.”
Campbell said the paper has grown in ranks, and that emphasis going into the fall will continue to be on training and recruiting; with this in mind, the paper will add a new position: recruitment director.

“While we need to keep our online and print operations at a high level, it’s also important to be sustainable,” Campbell said. “That comes with getting the younger writers, designers, copy editors and photographers up in the newsroom and giving them opportunities to gain experience and get involved.”

Campbell said the paper’s current managing editor, Kristyn Sanito, a third-year English student from Aiken, S.C., will return in that role in the fall.

Third-year visual communication student Jordan Osborne will take over as editor-in-chief of Garnet & Black magazine. Osborne, a native of North Myrtle Beach, N.C., currently serves as online editor for the campus magazine. She began writing for the G&B her freshman year and wrote her first feature on violence in Five Points, which appeared in the magazine’s Winter 2011 issue. Her latest feature tackles dating issues in the modern world.

“I want to be involved in the publication industry eventually, and there’s no better opportunity for experience in Columbia than this position,” Jordan said. “I’ve also in the last couple years grown really attached to Garnet & Black. I hope to represent different aspects of campus, and I want it to our online issues to be something every student knows and talks about.”

WUSC program director Calvin Koon-Stack will take the airwaves as station manager this May. Koon-Stack is a second-year geography and English student with a concentration in creative writing and a native of Irmo, S.C. He began his run at the university’s independent radio station with a 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. segment titled “The Sleep Deprivation and Procrastination Dihour.”

“I’m looking to build the DJ community,” Koon-Stack said. “WUSC is looking to open our HD-2 channel next year, which would focus on the technology aspect of radio production and double our capacity for DJ and community involvement. It would create a whole new educational aspect to WUSC.”

Starting in the fall, SGTV will be under the leadership of third-year media arts and art history student Sam Snellgrove. Currently, the Spartanburg, S.C., native serves as equipment manager and co-producer for SGTV’s “Talk of the Town” and “Gamecocks in the Kitchen.”

“It’s something I felt was right for me,” Snellgrove said. “I love the thrill of working with people on projects, talking with people one on one, and working together to come to a greater goal. I want to make sure everyone feels included and is used to the best of their ability.”

All top student media leaders are picked by the board of publications, which is comprised of students, professors and administrators. Students of all majors are invited to participate in one or more media groups regardless of previous experience.