Equestrian rides streak to nationals

USC searches for first national championship since 2007

The South Carolina equestrian team will look to continue its hot streak in the national championships, held in Waco, Texas, tonight.

For head coach Boo Major, who is trying to bring the Gamecocks their first national championship since 2007, the momentum gained over the past month and a half will help her team, particularly against Auburn, who they will face if they get past the first round on the Western side.

On the Hunt Seat side, USC will face the Texas A&M vs. Fresno State winner in the second round on Friday.

“I think it really helps us a lot,” Major said. “The fact that we beat [Auburn] several times gives us a lot of confidence. We’re looking at the same ol’ people we have competed against all year. We will probably face Georgia on the Hunt Seat side of the event if we win also. I think we’re prepared to go up against the folks we already have competed with.”

While USC is riding momentum, Major was quick to stress that the Gamecocks will not be too confident heading into the nationals, especially against University of Tennessee Martin, who they open against Thursday at 9:30 a.m. South Carolina defeated UT-Martin 16-3 earlier in the season.

“The biggest thing is to not come in here thinking that it’s going to be easy,” Major said. “We did a very good job of taking care of UT-Martin early in the season, but it’s a different owl here, so to speak. People come here with the jitters. We can’t go in there thinking that we are all that and we are going to crush people.”

Major related it to the NCAA basketball tournament, saying that there is always some great team that loses because it overlooks its opponent.

While trying to keep her teams’ collective heads on the ground, Major will also be dealing with a lot of freshmen who are experiencing nationals for the first time; however, they have gotten a “pre-run” before today’s event so they can become somewhat familiar with the horses.

“All of our freshmen are going to get the opportunity to go into the arena,” Major said. “I think that’s one of the key things that we are going to be able to get done, is for them to get a chance to ride in the competition arena.”

When compared to teams from the past couple of years, Major said that this year’s team is a little more “talented” and that the senior leadership has been outstanding.

“It all boils down to the leadership that we’ve got,” Major said. “Our captains are a very positive, senior group. This team has really adopted a never-say-never attitude and they have stayed consistent and have consistently gotten better. Their attitude has been phenomenal. Win or lose they stay the same, and I think that has made a huge difference.”

When asked how this year’s team compares to the 2007 national championship team, Major said that team was a little older. Major has taken pleasure in the accomplishments of this year saying, “This is one of the most, if not the, most rewarding year I’ve ever had.”

Junior Kimberly McCormack was named the Most Outstanding Hunt Seat Player of the month of March by the National Collegiate Equestrian Association.

McCormack won all four Hunt Seat matches she rode during the month, helping the Gamecocks to their first ever Southern Equestrian championship.