In Our Opinion: Cyclists, walkers must share Columbia campus

The parking debacle on campus has been well-documented time and time again, but there’s another ongoing parking war with our fellow classmates who utilize two-wheeled travel around campus as well.

While massive, overarching projects would be needed to make the city of Columbia a more friendly place overall for two-wheeled peddlers, some simple solutions could make biking your way to class a more convenient affair for all. Notably, there always seems to be a lack of bike racks around prime places to lock up your ride. Those around Russell House and many other prominent buildings are often packed, detracting from the illustrious appeal of peddling your way to an 8 a.m. lecture. More racks would allow more students to bike their way about campus as well as rest assured they can lock up their ride when they reach their destination.

But locking up to a rack is only half the battle — maybe less. There’s an ongoing war between those who trek campus on foot and those who huff their way to class on Schwinns. Pedestrians, as well as drivers, look at cyclists as rude and feel they’re constantly cut off by these two-wheeled maniacs, while bikers feel those who walk and drive don’t leave enough space for them to weave about. At the end of the day, we’re all trying to get to class on time, whether on a shiny Huffy or in well-worn Sperrys. Share the brick walkway; life will be better for all.

Biking to class is an affair that should be enjoyable, and simple fixes, like more bike racks and common courtesy, will go a long way in making USC a better place to pedal a shiny new BMX.