International students find their niche at USC

English programs, offices provide support

Second-year business student Bin Zheng traveled from China four years ago to learn English. He began with USC’s English Programs for Internationals, and later enrolled in the university. He credits those in International Student Services for their assistance.

“I’ve learned a lot,” he said. “Columbia is a good environment to study in.”

According to the 2011 International Student Enrollment Report, 1,348 international students enrolled during Fall 2011, including 312 undergraduates, 955 graduates and 81 exchange students. Of these students, 422 come from China, while other countries of origin include but are not limited to India, South Korea and Bangladesh.

Since Fall 2010, the university’s international student enrollment has increased by 7.3 percent.

During the fall, 337 international students enrolled in the College of Engineering and Computing to study subjects such as chemistry, physics and biological sciences. Other popular colleges for international students are the College of Arts and Sciences with 304 students and the Darla Moore School of Business with 302 students.

Director of International Student Services Jody Pritt explained that many international students choose USC because it is favorable geographically, affordable and an excellent institution for research. Students receive scholarships or are sponsored by their native programs.

International Student Services opened the International House at Maxcy College in Fall 2011, allowing international students to live and interact with American students.

“We want to see them socializing with Americans,” Pritt said. “We really hope to see these students living and learning together.”

International Student Services provides other opportunities for students, including an extensive orientation, social activities and assisting those who wish to live off campus.

“At first, I did not have a vehicle,” Zheng said. “They provide transportation to Walmart and grocery stores.”

Zheng currently lives off campus and has joined the Friendship Association of Chinese Students and Scholars.

“I met a lot of people in FACSS, and that helped me to learn more about USC,” he said. “A lot of the people in the organization are in my classes, so we form study groups.”

Exchange student Taehoon Kim came from South Korea for the university’s English Programs for Internationals in August.

“The cost is cheaper than most schools. I like this campus, too. Students here are very kind,” Kim said. “The climate is warm, too.”

Since arriving in Columbia, Kim has learned to speak English fluently and enjoys the university. He plans to return to his native country after finishing the program in August.

Enrollment for English Programs for Internationals has increased from 196 students for Fall-I 2011 to 260 students for Fall-II 2011.

Natalia Ledeneva is currently learning English through the university’s international program as well. She received a master’s degree in computer science at Kyrgyz State Technical University in Kyrgyzstan, but plans to enroll at USC when completing the English program in February.

“I hope that I can enter the university,” she said. “I want to improve my computer skills.”

Ledeneva enjoys the speaking classes offered by International Student Services more than reading and writing. She noted that switching languages is difficult.

“I want to be prepared for the university. Books are not as helpful to me,” she said. “My mind is still in Russian, and I have to translate to English. It’s hard.”

Students involved in international programs at USC have a visa, which gives them the opportunity to remain in the country after completion of their program or graduation from the university. This gives students the opportunity to receive training in their study of interest. According to Pritt, many students are staying through graduation.

“We hope to see our students engaged in the Carolina community,” Pritt said. “We want them to be able to access other offices at the university. We’re trying to serve them in all ways possible.”