Columbia launches Style Week

City's first fashion series aims to expand business

Columbia’s first official fashion week was kicked off in style at the Tapp’s Art Center Tuesday night. Artists, designers and fans from all over the southeast arrived at the opening dressed in the latest fashion trends and their newest threads, ready to share ideas and discuss the world of fashion. The evening began with a session of questions answered by a panel of leaders of southeastern fashion industry.

Columbia Style Week (CSW) is an event that also includes arts, live entertainment, education and of course shopping. Alicia Zeigler, coordinator of CSW, said she was excited about the buzz fashion week has already received and that she hoped the event ignites a spark that draws more interest from those in the fashion industry to South Carolina and provides a platform for fashion in the area. Zeigler spoke of the need for a fashion week for the City of Columbia because of its central location and the fact that it is the only city in the area that does not have its own fashion event. Being the first ever Columbia Style Week, there was a little bit of nervous tension, but Zeigler believes that in three or four years the city could experience a fashion week on the same level of Charlotte’s or Charleston’s.

“I believe after this week Columbia will have made a name for itself,” Zeigler said.

The kickoff party included a handful of other participants who have their stake in the local scene. Maya Troy, owner of MayaQoba, talked about her expectations for the week and how she hopes to reach more clients in the region because of the exposure Style Week will provide to Columbia residents. Virginia Walters, a volunteer at the event and USC graduate, talked about the city’s need or a fashion event.

“It’ll be good for the city to have something upbeat,” Walters said. The group of models, makeup artists, designers and photographers were intrigued and excited about the upcoming events, which include several “Shop Hops” discounts at local retailers and a Bridal Showcase Saturday at Tapp’s. To find out more about scheduling and events check www.columbiastyleweek.com.