IN OUR OPINION: USC tuition increase minimal, necessary

For in-state students, this is the lowest percent increase since 1999, when most of us were in elementary school. It's been more than a decade since the university budgeted an increase so small. That itself has to be an indicator of good things to come.

It's also right in line with inflation and increases at other state-funded schools. USC isn't alone in needing to raise its main source of revenue.

Admittedly, out-of-state students will bear the majority of the burden, but even the $1,291 increase can be justified by lack of financial support from the state for non-residents. The state doesn't make out-of-state students any cheaper to educate, and it's a smart move for the university to recognize the difference and respond accordingly. If we're going to continue to push for a new accountability-based funding policy from the state, the university has to show that it is doing everything it can to bring South Carolina students into its system.

We understand that with inflation, tuition increases are inevitable, and we would like to commend the university for being efficient in budgeting this latest surge. If the university continues working to manage funds more effectively, it will pay off for everyone.