Promise campaign makes $10.8 million

New goal aims to raise $130 million in 2012-13 fiscal year

Carolina’s Promise earned an additional $10.8 million in May, since the campus launch of the historic fundraising initiative in April.

The effort began quietly in 2007. Gains from recent events bring the total amount raised to $566.8 million, a little less than $450 million from the campaign’s goal of raising $1 billion by 2015.

The Division of Development and Alumni Relations spent about $112,000 hosting the campaign’s nationwide outreach events, opting to host all 28 the same evening and simulcasting the program.

The telecasted message from Pastides highlighted the campaign’s top current priorities, which include 3 million square feet of much-needed renovations, faculty replenishment, academic programming and scholarship programs such as Gamecock Guarantee. A few prominent alumni lent their aid with publicity, including former Barnum & Bailey Circus ringmaster Tyrone McFarlan, who was compensated $600, and country singer Julie Roberts, who donated her video for “Sweet Carolina” to the campaign. The song was co-written by Jason Collum and inspired by her experiences as a student who started out at USC Lancaster.

“The launch parties were very successful in bringing awareness of the campaign to a large number of donors and alumni across the country,” Dodenhoff wrote in an email response. “I think it was helpful for the Carolina family to hear from the president and his vision for the campaign and what it will be used for.”

The aggressive fundraising campaign has been important for boosting the university’s revenue in a time when state funding for university operation has bottomed out to 11 percent and tuition increases are limited. Dodenhoff said the campaign aims to raise $130 million in 2013, bringing USC to at least two-thirds of its goal.

“As we enter the final years of the campaign, our focus is to broaden the base of donors at all levels,” Dodenhoff said. “Participation is very important.”