In Our Opinion: Downtown housing benefits students, city

We think more housing downtown will benefit Columbia as a whole as well.

Monarch Ventures, a 600-bed apartment complex set to inhabit the lot across from Carolina Stadium, will join the recently approved Palmetto Center in revving up downtown student living. These communities will likely encourage the development of more sidewalks and bike paths between the complex and campus, allowing for environmentally-friendly and safe travel for those in the new buildings and in the other complexes just over the bridge, like Riverside and Garnet River Walk. It could also alleviate some of the parking woes, as 600 — or even 200 -— fewer cars on campus would make a huge difference for both commuting and residential students.

Although Monarch will not be completed until 2014, it is a smart move for the community and a must due to the rapid rate at which students are choosing USC.

After recent huge enrollment increases, many upperclassmen have opted to rent houses in the Five Points and Shandon neighborhoods. While these houses are close to campus, it also means handling complaints from non-student neighbors. In an apartment setting inhabited by mostly peers, students don’t have to worry as much about disturbing neighbors with late-night revelry or crowded game-day driveways. It means a student-friendly community that’s closer to campus than Copper Beach, the Retreat or the Woodlands without the added cost of living in a residence hall.

And with 600 to 1200 more residents downtown, business in the city will most likely experience a boost. Who knows? Maybe it’ll inspire something to finally crop up in the Innovista building.