IN OUR OPINION: Coaches’ incentive-based raises set good example

Spurrier had his contract modified to allow him to accumulate bonuses if his Gamecocks finish the season with nine or more victories. Each victory after the ninth will earn Spurrier an improved bonus and he will be able to keep the money from each win. Staley earned a $50,000 bonus for leading the women's basketball team to a Sweet Sixteen appearance last season.

In sports, coaches are almost completely measured by wins and losses. Teams that are not successful typically find themselves with new leaders. Coaches are held accountable for their players' actions on the field. Like company leader, they are responsible for whether their employees turn a profit for the company. Both the football and the women's basketball squads at USC showed great progress, which led to their coaches being rewarded.

This model of accountability is refreshingly simple. If results are not evident, the coaches' history of employment at the institution does not matter. He or she will be looking for a new job. If the coach does produce results, compensation will follow.

Using this type of reward system could be beneficial for other departments at the university. Rewarding individuals based on their work results is the best way to ensure that complacency does not set in while keeping the employees motivated to produce at a high level. It doesn't translate perfectly, but in an educational system where people are often rewarded for seniority and measuring results often falls by the wayside, it's something to think about.